Jug with mottled tenmoku and red glaze. No makers mark.

3 posters

Go down

Jug with mottled tenmoku and red glaze. No makers mark.  Empty Jug with mottled tenmoku and red glaze. No makers mark.

Post by Pugmill September 9th 2023, 11:22 am

Hi, The glaze on this jug reminds me of glazes used by Ray Finch at Winchcombe.
Any ideas who the maker could be? Best regards Pugmill

Jug with mottled tenmoku and red glaze. No makers mark.  Img_2147
Jug with mottled tenmoku and red glaze. No makers mark.  Img_2148
Jug with mottled tenmoku and red glaze. No makers mark.  Img_2149Jug with mottled tenmoku and red glaze. No makers mark.  Img_2150
Pugmill
Pugmill

Number of posts : 285
Registration date : 2013-12-05

Back to top Go down

Jug with mottled tenmoku and red glaze. No makers mark.  Empty Re: Jug with mottled tenmoku and red glaze. No makers mark.

Post by philpot September 9th 2023, 12:29 pm

That brown in particular reminds of me of David and Margaret Frith's pottery. They have been going for a long time, and ran student courses for  years. So that might explain the lack of a mark. Equally tho it might be one of David Frith's. See what you think!
https://www.20thcenturyforum.com/t9949-david-frith-margaret-frith-brookhouse-pottery?highlight=frith
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6263
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Jug with mottled tenmoku and red glaze. No makers mark.  Empty Re: Jug with mottled tenmoku and red glaze. No makers mark.

Post by Pugmill September 9th 2023, 1:00 pm

Thanks Philpot. I've had a look online at the Friths work. They have some beautiful glazes. My concern with this jug, is it is a bit pear shaped and the handle seems a bit undersized for the jug.
Pugmill
Pugmill

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot September 9th 2023, 2:48 pm

Well that would tie in perfectly with it being made by a student. The Frith's did pottery workshops for downright amatuers. As well as those with more experience. Someone's souvenir which they fired for them, but it was too much a student piece to put the Brookhouse mark on!
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6263
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots September 9th 2023, 5:58 pm

My thoughts are that if it had been made at a pottery workshop run by a decent potter then they would have been instructed to make a much better handle.

The glazing is complex and the piece looks well thrown but not very exciting.

I suspect it was made by a potter that sold his stuff locally for a few years while there was a market for it. I imagine that he didn't mark it because he just regarded his pots to be functional and to be used.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7805
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pugmill September 9th 2023, 6:12 pm

I shall keep a look out for similar pieces with this distinctive rib cage glaze effect.
Pugmill
Pugmill

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum