jevpots
big ed
studio-pots
Davee
Susan Bearder
43 posters

Page 12 of 15 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Go down

Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery - Page 12 Empty Re: Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery

Post by NaomiM October 25th 2021, 3:42 pm

Aldermaston Pottery. Looks like David Tipler's mark

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31292
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery - Page 12 Empty Re: Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery

Post by NaomiM October 31st 2021, 8:55 pm

Label said Gill Bent but I haven’t checked it yet

Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery - Page 12 645c5e10
Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery - Page 12 9dc84610

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot November 30th 2021, 6:37 pm

In the earlier years Aldermaston and indeed Alan Caiger Smith himself would try many different things. They were after all, a working pottery that needed to make money.
             This week there was an auction of such early Aldermaston pottery at Hannam's in Hampshire. The following images mostly had Alan Caiger Smith's mark on. But all were definitely marked with some Aldermaston mark. The Pig and cow, and the bright blue glaze on a couple of pieces are especially unusual.

Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery - Page 12 Img_0639Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery - Page 12 Img_0640Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery - Page 12 Img_0642Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery - Page 12 Img_0643Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery - Page 12 Img_0644Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery - Page 12 Img_0645
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6349
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. November 30th 2021, 7:23 pm

Never guess that those two animals were ASC
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Male Number of posts : 5607
Registration date : 2009-12-19

http://www.briglin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM December 10th 2021, 7:33 pm

Unusual piece by Alan Caiger-Smith, a commission for Shalford Mustard - Caiger-Smith lived in Shalford in Sussex - date code for 1981. I don’t know what the J stamp is for

Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery - Page 12 141ee510

Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery - Page 12 77225b10

Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery - Page 12 1ff3f010 Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery - Page 12 15abeb10 Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery - Page 12 D6062d10

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery - Page 12 Empty Who made this?

Post by Froxfield January 1st 2022, 10:38 am

Here are two pictures of an eighteen inch platter that we received as a wedding gift back in 1971.  It was bought from Aldermaston pottery by a family friend who lived locally.  According to this friend the potter was reluctant to sell it as ut had been an experimental piece and, to be frank. it isn't quite flat!!  I haven't seen anything else quite like it.  Can anyone identify the potter's mark?Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery - Page 12 Platte10
Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery - Page 12 Platte11
Froxfield
Froxfield

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2022-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot January 1st 2022, 11:45 am

That is a lovely piece, and Very unusual for Aldermaston. The AC is for Edgar Campden who started in the early years of Aldermaston pottery in 1961, and worked there until the late 80's. I wonder if this was a personal experiment? Hence the reluctance to sell it.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM January 1st 2022, 1:10 pm

Very nice, and very unusual.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Froxfield January 1st 2022, 3:21 pm

Thank you Philpot for the information. I think it must have been a personal experiment. Our family friend was something of a character around sulhamstead and VERY determined when she set her mind on something. It seems a miracle to me that we have managed to keep this piece undamaged through 50 years and three moves of house. It has occasionally even been used to serve food. Will it survive the grandchildren?
Froxfield
Froxfield

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2022-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM February 17th 2022, 11:56 pm

A little lustre bud vase by Angela Monckton, Aldermaston Pottery

Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery - Page 12 75198f10

Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery - Page 12 Dcd82610

Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery - Page 12 1a67c910

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by tenpot April 23rd 2022, 4:19 pm

looks like 1966 date mark to me
tenpot
tenpot

Male Number of posts : 2634
Registration date : 2008-06-07

http://aucoustier.blogspot.fr/

Back to top Go down

Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery - Page 12 Empty Aldermaston jug. Edgar Campden

Post by benwilliams May 2nd 2022, 1:32 pm

Aldermaston jug. Edgar campden?
His was the nearest I could see on the Aldermaston potters list but it has the extra dot.
?
Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery - Page 12 Fe65f410
Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery - Page 12 9f71d910
benwilliams
benwilliams

Number of posts : 2281
Registration date : 2017-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM May 2nd 2022, 1:41 pm

Looks right Excellent

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by benwilliams May 2nd 2022, 1:46 pm

Good. Bit chipped but couldn’t say no.
benwilliams
benwilliams

Number of posts : 2281
Registration date : 2017-12-27

Back to top Go down

Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery - Page 12 Empty I thought Id share a new acquisition, I think Aldermaston.

Post by ummedia June 14th 2022, 2:00 pm

Hi guys, I've been a member for a while but its a while since I added to my collection. I think this is aldermaston but dont know the maker. I initially thought Edgar Campden but not sure now. Hope you like it.
Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery - Page 12 Alder1
Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery - Page 12 Alder2
ummedia
ummedia

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2014-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump June 14th 2022, 5:17 pm

Very nice piece, I think it is Edgar Campden, One of his marks has an extra strike
through the A like this.
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Number of posts : 7189
Registration date : 2014-06-01

http://www.magicfabric.magix.net/public/

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. September 15th 2022, 10:47 pm

The book has 45 marks in it's index and the list on this thread has 25 marks.
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Back to top Go down

Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery - Page 12 Empty Cup and saucer - Aldermaston?

Post by HelenC October 24th 2022, 8:07 pm

Ploughing through my latest ‘that looks interesting’ crateload of random studio pottery, I’ve come across the huge cup (maybe handled bowl?) and saucer below. It doesn’t look quite right for Aldermaston and I can’t match the mark, the colours are a bit odd but it’s a nice pair! Is this Aldermaston, and if not any thoughts? Thanks

Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery - Page 12 473e0910
Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery - Page 12 F20c1f10
Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery - Page 12 432cad10
HelenC
HelenC

Number of posts : 274
Registration date : 2021-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot October 24th 2022, 8:49 pm

Aldermaston invariably used a reddish earthenware clay. That edge looks a bit like stoneware. It does look like it clearly has an Aldermaston influence. The Z part of the mark is unusual though, although The A might well put it as Aldermaston. There were a lot of people who worked at Aldermaston for varying lengths of time and not all of them are documented.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by HelenC October 24th 2022, 8:58 pm

Hi, the clay is a red earthenware, albeit quite a pale one - the flash has bleached it out a bit. I was wondering if it was an undocumented Aldermaston mark, I certainly can’t find it in the ‘official’ list
HelenC
HelenC

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. October 24th 2022, 9:21 pm

Look through the Aldermaston thread - there are multiple pieces but no one seems to be sure who AZ is. I think it is Aldermaston. They seem to have done a lot of plates. I have a few
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM October 24th 2022, 10:52 pm

Yes, Aldermaston Pottery. AR monogram, possibly for Simon Rich

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by HelenC October 24th 2022, 10:58 pm

Thanks, Naomi, I did think about Simon Rich but all the examples I could find showed his monogram as having the A and R similar heights. That’s the problem with letting potters paint their monograms. Forget national identity cards, I want national pottery identity stamps to be made mandatory!
HelenC
HelenC

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM October 24th 2022, 11:03 pm

Jaki Rothery is another possibility. I’ve seen this AR mark before but it wasn’t solved

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot October 25th 2022, 9:06 am

Another possibility. Alan Caiger Smith also designed a range of pottery for Honiton Pottery. This might explain the change of clay and the not quite traditional Aldermaston design in this cup and saucer.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 15 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum