jevpots
big ed
studio-pots
Davee
Susan Bearder
43 posters

Page 10 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next

Go down

aldermaston - Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery - Page 10 Empty Re: Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery

Post by philpot May 31st 2020, 4:50 pm

I see you are in Cambridge. What you want to do is go into the Primavera craft shop which is right opposite Kings. Really worth looking at, if just for the experience! They are a fabulous shop with utlra-fabulous prices. A link below to one of their online Caiger Smith pieces below. Unfortunately, your bowl is worth NOTHING whatever like the price they are asking! Laughter Laughter
https://www.primaveragallery.co.uk/products/caiger-smith-alan-lustreware-bowl-2
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6381
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

aldermaston - Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery - Page 10 Empty Re: Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery

Post by D C BEAL May 31st 2020, 5:01 pm

Thank you both very much indeed. I've been looking at the date codes and the cloest seems to be 1968....with a bit of imagination!
And yes, I know Primavera - wonderful shop ......but for me for browsing rather than buying!
D C BEAL
D C BEAL

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2018-11-28

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot May 31st 2020, 5:12 pm

1968 would probably be a little early in the development of lustre ware.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by D C BEAL May 31st 2020, 6:23 pm

Thank you very much ......I'll go back and have another look.
D C BEAL
D C BEAL

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump May 31st 2020, 6:57 pm

Try and take a better picture of the date cypher with no reflections,
maybe outside. we can usually work them out.
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Number of posts : 7206
Registration date : 2014-06-01

http://www.magicfabric.magix.net/public/

Back to top Go down

Post by D C BEAL May 31st 2020, 7:18 pm

aldermaston - Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery - Page 10 P1000212
aldermaston - Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery - Page 10 P1000210
aldermaston - Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery - Page 10 P1000211

Do these help? Took third one upside down to try to eliminate reflection.
Best
D C BEAL
D C BEAL

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump May 31st 2020, 7:39 pm

Yes that's perfect
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump June 1st 2020, 10:09 am

Unfortunately the date cypher doesn't seem to tally with anything in the book.
Not so important, it's a nice piece anyway.
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by D C BEAL June 1st 2020, 10:25 am

I wonder why......Thanks for letting me know, and for all your help.
Best
D C BEAL
D C BEAL

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. June 1st 2020, 11:49 am

I have a similar piece with "ACS", "W10", DATE MARK, "T2"

T2?
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Male Number of posts : 5607
Registration date : 2009-12-19

http://www.briglin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM June 1st 2020, 11:57 am

The WA mark is on Aldermaston lustre pieces

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31420
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. June 1st 2020, 12:05 pm

Yes, I think the S mark is the date not the T2 looking one.
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Male Number of posts : 5607
Registration date : 2009-12-19

http://www.briglin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot August 8th 2020, 12:22 pm

https://www.readingmuseum.org.uk/blog/alan-caiger-smith-international-potter-local-hero

Very interesting article/blog from Reading Museum on Alan Caiger Smith the potter, and his long relationship with the Museum. Lovely photos and link to a film.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

aldermaston - Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery - Page 10 Empty Aldermaston Pottery Alan Caiger-Smith Pleasing Plate

Post by RVsaid August 16th 2020, 9:07 am

1963 right?

Nice piece, may be a keeper, some 25 cm across.

Man I remember finding Aldermaston pieces all the time whilst living in Reading, just do not find that many pieces by Alan any more. If you have not already and when things improve, you must check out his exhibit at the Reading Museum. I missed the auctioning off of the pieces from his studio but I believe that is where the museum gained a lot of the larger pieces from and well worth a visit.
aldermaston - Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery - Page 10 P1520110

aldermaston - Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery - Page 10 P1520210

aldermaston - Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery - Page 10 P1520211

aldermaston - Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery - Page 10 P1520212

aldermaston - Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery - Page 10 P1520213

RVsaid
RVsaid

Number of posts : 1458
Registration date : 2012-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot August 17th 2020, 1:19 pm

2006 at Mallams was his final retirement auction. Just as well you did not make it. All the auction records for Alan Caiger Smith was made at that auction.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

aldermaston - Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery - Page 10 Empty David Tipler

Post by NaomiM September 3rd 2020, 2:41 am

Jam pot. Probably by David Tipler

aldermaston - Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery - Page 10 E54abf10

aldermaston - Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery - Page 10 De773c10 aldermaston - Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery - Page 10 2ae95710 aldermaston - Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery - Page 10 7fdbc310

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by fridolina September 25th 2020, 7:43 pm

A jam pot unfortunately with no lid.
Should I have bought it?

aldermaston - Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery - Page 10 36b6f810
aldermaston - Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery - Page 10 B836e410
fridolina
fridolina

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2020-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump September 25th 2020, 8:12 pm

You could always call it a brush pot!

By David Tipler.
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by fridolina September 25th 2020, 8:30 pm

denbydump wrote:You could always call it a brush pot!
True. Good idea! 😆
It’s in a dark corner of the local “vintage emporium” misrepresented as “jersey?” so most likely it’s still there.
I’ll think about it...
fridolina
fridolina

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot September 26th 2020, 8:10 am

There is still a lot of Aldermaston pottery around. A team of up to 8 potters over more than 30 years produced a lot of pottery. There are 48 pieces on Ebay at the moment. A pot without a lid is probably a buy you will regret.....we have all done it!
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by fridolina September 30th 2020, 11:08 am

Sensible. Thanks for the advice. aldermaston - Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery - Page 10 910958
I didn’t buy it after all.
fridolina
fridolina

Back to top Go down

aldermaston - Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery - Page 10 Empty Aldermaston large lidded pot by Mary O'Gorman or Gill Bent?

Post by benwilliams November 2nd 2020, 9:28 pm

Big lidded pot with 2 handles.
I’ve trawled through the marks, lost marks and apprentice marks on the Aldermaston thread but coudn’t see one like this.
I’ll put 2 photos of the mark on as I’m not even sure which way round it is, probably the first way though.
aldermaston - Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery - Page 10 Bbf8f110
aldermaston - Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery - Page 10 72508610
aldermaston - Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery - Page 10 Bb70a910
benwilliams
benwilliams

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2017-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump November 2nd 2020, 10:10 pm

It doesn't seem to directly match any monograms.
Mary O'Gorman used loopy marks, so just maybe her.
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM November 2nd 2020, 10:42 pm

Gill Bent, maybe

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot January 24th 2021, 7:12 am

This is a gem. A Flog It in Fill piece with Alan Caiger Smith in full flow in the pottery. The glimpse of the reference collection upstairs is fascinating.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum