jevpots
big ed
studio-pots
Davee
Susan Bearder
43 posters

Page 1 of 15 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Go down

Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery Empty Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery

Post by Susan Bearder February 10th 2009, 12:49 pm

Julian Bellmont wrote:The Pottery stopped using the Made In England stamp in 1980

Admin wrote:
Aldermaston marks

Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery Alderm11
Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery Alderm12

I thought I ought to introduce another of my old local potteries - Two pieces the goblet and the little flower holder are Alan Caiger Smith signed while the candle holder an ACS design, I had made especially just before I left UK as a treat I had painted by resident potter Andrew Hazelden at Aldermaston Pottery.

Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery Monogm10Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery Acs10
Susan Bearder

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2009-01-15

Back to top Go down

Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery Empty Re: Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery

Post by Davee October 5th 2009, 6:56 pm

Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery Feb20011
Davee
Davee
Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 2212
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Back to top Go down

Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery Empty ALDERMASTON/ALAN CAIGER SMITH

Post by philpot November 21st 2010, 9:00 am

Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery 00113

Aldermaston pottery was founded by Alan Caiger Smith in the mid 1950's.This is one of Alan Caiger Smith's pots.It lasted until 1993,producing Earthenware Tin Glazed Plottery. They also did some superb lustre pieces,which at their nest are magnificent.They operated with up top 8 potters,and founded the careers on many potters working today. Each piece is invividually signed,with a variation on the A. It is quite difficult to find information on all the potters.
Alan Caiger Smith is quite a famous potter.Having written several books on lustre and Tin glazed pottery as well as an Autobiography POTTERY PLACES AND TIME. A pottery well worth collecting as at the moment a goods deal of it is relatively cheap apart from Alan Caiger Smith.Although Lawrence Mcgowan's work is getting more expensive.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6349
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery Empty Re: Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery

Post by philpot November 21st 2010, 9:06 am

Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery 00211

A little Edgar Campden vase.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot November 21st 2010, 9:08 am

Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery 00311
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot November 21st 2010, 9:10 am

Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery 00410
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot November 21st 2010, 9:13 am

Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery 00510
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots August 30th 2011, 9:01 am

22 Crawford St. wrote:Hi everyone. Over the last few years ten pieces of this pottery seem to have appeared on my shelves (I must stop bidding on things that look nice on ebay). I think Aldermaston is soooo cool as pieces are signed and many dated.

I have a link for ACS on Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Caiger-Smith), and it lists several books by ACS, however is there a book about the pottery? .... and an index of dates and potters marks? I would like to learn more? Is there a collectors website? Was it only sold from the Pottery?

BR

Alex

I have not seen a book about the Aldermaston Pottery with dates and potters marks but do have a piece of paper with a number of marks that was given to me several years ago (I can't remember by who) - the mark on your dish sadly isn't included.

There is reference to a publication "Alan Caiger-Smith and Aldermaston Pottery, 1955-1993" on the internet, which appears to be a catalogue of a retrospective exhibition. I have not seen it so don't know what it contains but it does appears to only be available at a rather inflated price and my gut feeling is that it may be a disappointment. If you are tempted to buy, I would suggest you try and look at it first.
studio-pots
studio-pots
Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7816
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed September 4th 2011, 5:52 pm

Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery 01612
big ed
big ed

Male Number of posts : 11942
Registration date : 2008-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed September 4th 2011, 5:54 pm

Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery 00712

a very large lidded piece by Alan Caiger- Smith ( paisley museum ) sorry about a pic i was in a rush Laughter
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed September 4th 2011, 5:55 pm

Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery 01111

even bigger piece , amazing stuff.
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed September 4th 2011, 5:57 pm

Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery 00116

One of the display units mainly ACS but also G lyons ( moffat potterey on the left )
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed April 9th 2012, 2:25 pm

Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery 00428

This Lovely big piece has had quite a bit of damaged and restoration done on it , but displays very well , a very big teapot at 10" High and 14" from spout to handle
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed April 9th 2012, 2:26 pm

Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery 00525

Four dots indicate a 1964 date , I believe .
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery Empty Pottery, People and Time

Post by jevpots April 9th 2012, 5:02 pm

philpot wrote:Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery 00113

Aldermaston pottery was founded by Alan Caiger Smith in the mid 1950's.This is one of Alan Caiger Smith's pots.It lasted until 1993,producing Earthenware Tin Glazed Plottery. They also did some superb lustre pieces,which at their nest are magnificent.They operated with up top 8 potters,and founded the careers on many potters working today. Each piece is invividually signed,with a variation on the A. It is quite difficult to find information on all the potters.
Alan Caiger Smith is quite a famous potter.Having written several books on lustre and Tin glazed pottery as well as an Autobiography POTTERY PLACES AND TIME. A pottery well worth collecting as at the moment a goods deal of it is relatively cheap apart from Alan Caiger Smith.Although Lawrence Mcgowan's work is getting more expensive.

Alan has asked that I draw attention to the incorrect title of his book quoted in the above post. It should be 'Pottery, People and Time'
jevpots
jevpots

Male Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2012-02-27

http://www.jevceramics.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery Empty Aldermaston Pottery/Alan Caiger-Smith Marks

Post by jevpots April 9th 2012, 5:05 pm

studio-pots wrote:It will be very useful for everyone if he agrees jevpots and thank you for making the effort to get permission.

Alan has now given permission for copies of the marks for Aldermaston appearing in the publication 'Alan Caiger-Smith and Aldermaston Pottery 1955 - 1993' to be uploaded to the site. Please would somebody let me know how to do it!

jevpots
jevpots

Back to top Go down

Post by jevpots April 9th 2012, 6:29 pm

Information on Aldermaston and ACS Pottery Marks below. Added by kind permission of Alan Caiger-Smith

Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery Acsmar12

Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery Alderm12

jevpots
jevpots

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM June 4th 2012, 7:33 pm

Geoffrey Eastop, Aldermaston and later his own pottery at Padworth, W. Berks.

Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery Dscn9918

Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery Dscn9919

Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery Dscn9920

Inscribed B above monogram.
NaomiM
NaomiM
Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31292
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots June 4th 2012, 8:46 pm

We ought to make it clear Naomi that this wasn't the mark that he used when he was in partnership with Alan Caiger Smith at Aldermaston but the mark that he used later.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7816
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM August 21st 2012, 9:36 pm

Found this one the weekend and I'm pretty sure it's Aldermaston Pottery.
From the table above, I believe the monogram is that of Elizabeth Frith Powell

Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery Dscn1024

Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery Dscn1025

Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery Dscn1026

NaomiM
NaomiM
Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31292
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery Empty Aldermaston Pottery Vase - Sam Davis

Post by r-and-f October 25th 2012, 3:31 pm

Not sure if this should have been posted on the Aldermaston Pottery thread, but I hope someone can help.

This 25 cms tall albarello-shaped vase is undoubtedly from (or very closely associated with) Aldermaston Pottery. But I can't find a matching monogram on the very helpful chart of potters' marks posted at https://www.20thcenturyforum.com/t3346p15-aldermaston-pottery.

It would be nice to think that it's by Alan Caiger-Smith. Did he ever forget to do the circular squiggle at the end of his monogram?

Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery Alderm10

Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery Alderm11

Problem solved: I contacted Andrew Hazelden who was very helpful and has identified the vase as being by Sam Davis, made at Aldermaston between 1987 and 1991.
r-and-f
r-and-f

Male Number of posts : 281
Registration date : 2012-02-07

https://randomtreasureblog.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot January 18th 2013, 8:49 am

This is a link to the Alan Caiger Smith's studio Auction sale at Mallam's when Aldermaston pottery finally closed completely. Its very interesting for the comments Alan Caiger Smith makes on the individual pieces, and prices of course,which were high!

http://www.catalogue-host.co.uk/mallams/oxford/2007-10-12/page_1
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. January 19th 2013, 11:56 pm

If anyone is in Reading, Berkshire (near Aldermaston), then the Town Hall/Museum has a permanent display of Aldermaston. Some of the pieces are very large indeed.

"Forty of the pieces here are from the collection of David Castillejo, Alan's principal patron. Other works include some that Alan kept"

Museum entry is Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery 896643 FREE Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery 896643 and you can just walk in when they are open (see link below). You'll want the first floor 'Atrium Gallery'. There is a glass lift up to the where the goods are and the Museum's Postcode is RG1 1QH. Well worth a visit. Most Excellent

Opening Times Link
Atrium Gallery ACS

22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Male Number of posts : 5607
Registration date : 2009-12-19

http://www.briglin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by skipposal February 24th 2013, 3:38 pm

Aldermaston cheese cover (and wooden dish) by Mo Hamid
Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery Dsc01810
and his mark
Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery Dsc01811
skipposal
skipposal

Female Number of posts : 598
Registration date : 2013-02-07

http://Www.kegriffiths.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery Empty Large lidded and handled Aldermaston Pottery Bowl - Which artist though

Post by RVsaid May 26th 2013, 9:00 am

Hi

Anyone care to confirm which Aldermaston artisit this is by please?

https://i.servimg.com/u/f78/17/72/28/78/alder10.jpg
Alan Caiger-Smith and apprentices, Aldermaston Pottery Alder10

Edited to add: looks like Sheen Sinclair's mark
RVsaid
RVsaid

Number of posts : 1457
Registration date : 2012-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 15 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum