A GOOD STUDIO POTTERY SALE WITH NO RESERVES.

3 posters

Go down

A GOOD STUDIO POTTERY SALE WITH NO RESERVES. Empty A GOOD STUDIO POTTERY SALE WITH NO RESERVES.

Post by philpot March 11th 2023, 10:24 am

https://garydon.atgportals.net/auctions/8168/srgar10046?page=3&pageSize=60

An interesting one this. Sale on March 14. The link takes you to page 3 of a GARY DON Yorkshire auctioneer. From No 110 or thereabouts there are about 150 pieces with prices starting at £2! Some interesting middle range pieces there.Walter Keeler, Takeshi Yasuda, Michael Casson also including a large number of Jane Hamlyn. One Lot of 4 unidentified Carol Mcnicoll pieces.
An estate presumably. Is it still possible to get bargains from a sale like this?
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6381
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

A GOOD STUDIO POTTERY SALE WITH NO RESERVES. Empty Re: A GOOD STUDIO POTTERY SALE WITH NO RESERVES.

Post by 22 Crawford St. March 11th 2023, 12:26 pm

Far more likely to find a low to middle ceramics bargain at a provincial sale like this than the top end auctions.
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Male Number of posts : 5607
Registration date : 2009-12-19

http://www.briglin.com

Back to top Go down

A GOOD STUDIO POTTERY SALE WITH NO RESERVES. Empty Re: A GOOD STUDIO POTTERY SALE WITH NO RESERVES.

Post by philpot March 11th 2023, 1:15 pm

The Takshi Yasuda's are probably the best thing in that sale, It will interesting to see what price they get.
Adam Partridge, Wooley and Wallis, Lyon and Turnbull could be classified as Provincial Auctioneers of course. Or perhaps even Maak down in the provincial Laughter wilds near Reading
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by croker March 11th 2023, 2:21 pm

I have bought from this room before , mainly paintings and there are normally bargains to be had, no reserves i wonder?. The collection appears to have been made on a budget from working potters with the aim of collecting as much variety as possible.
croker
croker

Number of posts : 672
Registration date : 2021-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot March 13th 2023, 10:21 am

I just found it interesting to see how a collection has grown up. There is certainly a lot of Jane Hamlyn and other Salt Glaze in there. A collection at a Budget? But surely that is part of the attraction of collecting studio ceramics? You can get a reason able collection whatever your budget. Even at the Top End, Studio Ceramics are still going for a fraction of the prices of other elements in the 'Art' Market.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by croker March 13th 2023, 10:53 am

I quite agree but what i meant was that this seems like an accumulation of pots rather than a thought out collection . We all have spending limits and it is still possible to put together an interesting collection on limited means but in my opinion good collections are never assembled by magpie collecting. As you say ceramics are still the underdogs in the 'Art' market but i can't really see that changing in the near future, as you know a few ceramists have captured the attention of the art market but not many and apart from Coper , De Waal, Odundo etc, the others are mainly American but these are not really making pots as such.

Last edited by croker on March 13th 2023, 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
croker
croker

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot March 13th 2023, 1:19 pm

It is often curious that the type of collection one has is often governed by where you live or where you take your holidays. Back in the mid 90's we lived in South Devon. So started by getting pieces from local potters and The Devon Guild at Bovey Tracey. So early on in our collection we had pieces by John Maltby, Alan Wallwork, Roger Cockram, Tim Andrews, Jon Middlemiss, Sandy Brown Roger Cockram and David Leach. All because they were local. Only have the Maltby, Wallwork and Tim Andrews now.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by croker March 13th 2023, 2:26 pm

I think collections of all types are often started by accident, we see objects that we find interesting then once the seed is sown we run around excitedly buying everything in sight but after a while we gradually start to refine and thin out pieces .When i was about 18years old i obtained three old watch movements from a dustman,this started a lifelong interest in antiquarian horology, i have formed two collections the first was early watches c1680 to c1740, this i sold many years ago when i found i started losing interest in this period but then my interest was reignited when i started taking an interest in precision watches (chronometers etc) . Have you paid a visit to kettles yard yet?
croker
croker

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot March 17th 2023, 10:30 am

A number of the Takeshi Yasuda pieces appeared on Ebay straight away. Some one got a bargain of 4 Carol Mcnicoll pieces for £70!
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by croker March 17th 2023, 11:02 am

Carol Mcnicoll seems to have lost some popularity but even so they did seem like a bargain , the Takeshi Yasuda pots were also quite cheap if you compare them against realised prices on MAAK, the cushion shaped dish in particular seemed a good buy , i have no idea of the condition of any of the lots , this auction rooms business is based on house clearance so you take your chance.
croker
croker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum