Percy Baron Cornish 20th Century Seascape

2 posters

Go down

Percy Baron Cornish 20th Century Seascape  Empty Percy Baron Cornish 20th Century Seascape

Post by potterymad62 February 8th 2023, 10:30 am

Trying to find more information on the above subject Percy Baron impressionist watercolour early to mid 20th century. The subject possibly St Ives or another small fishing town village, not much online but one gallery sold a painting by him but little info in the sale description. I think it's an Austin Seven in the background.

Percy Baron Cornish 20th Century Seascape  Pxl_2322
Percy Baron Cornish 20th Century Seascape  Pxl_2323
potterymad62
potterymad62

Male Number of posts : 797
Registration date : 2009-07-22

Back to top Go down

Percy Baron Cornish 20th Century Seascape  Empty Re: Percy Baron Cornish 20th Century Seascape

Post by studio-pots February 8th 2023, 2:00 pm

I have checked and there is no entry for him in "The Dictionary of Artists in Britain since 1945" by David Buckman. This is the most comprehensive list of artists available.

Therefore it could mean that Baron didn't painted after 1945 or that David, who did years of research, wasn't able to find any information or didn't even come across him.

Now that he is listed here, there is always the possibility of one of his descendants coming across this entry and adding information.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7816
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Percy Baron Cornish 20th Century Seascape  Empty Re: Percy Baron Cornish 20th Century Seascape

Post by potterymad62 February 8th 2023, 2:29 pm

Thanks for getting back with some input, I have told the subject is possibly in and around Falmouth in Cornwall.

This is the only one I could find online: https://www.sulisfineart.com/percy-baron-mid-20th-century-watercolour-little-perhaver-beach-cornwall-ql611.html
potterymad62
potterymad62

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots February 8th 2023, 6:02 pm

I saw that but like you couldn't find anything else on the internet.

As the spelling is not the most usual, I wondered if Percy might be related to William Baron, who had the pottery in Barnstaple until his death in 1937?

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7816
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by potterymad62 February 8th 2023, 6:38 pm

studio-pots wrote:I saw that but like you couldn't find anything else on the internet.

As the spelling is not the most usual, I wondered if Percy might be related to William Baron, who had the pottery in Barnstaple until his death in 1937?

I found one at Barnebys & one at Lays auction in Penzance 2015 both sold, need to subscribe to see auction prices though, As for maybe being related to WB we need some more online info on him to build a bigger picture. Just keep putting it out there and hopefully it may link the two Barons.
potterymad62
potterymad62

Back to top Go down

Post by potterymad62 November 14th 2023, 5:47 pm

Update on the watercolour. A person contacted me on Facebook who lives in Mevagissey, the location is West Wharf, Mevagissey, Cornwall.
potterymad62
potterymad62

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum