Help in deciphering pottery HP mark (possible Helen Pincombe)

+2
philpot
CarinaMarie
6 posters

Go down

Help in deciphering pottery HP mark (possible Helen Pincombe) Empty Help in deciphering pottery HP mark (possible Helen Pincombe)

Post by CarinaMarie January 6th 2023, 9:25 pm

I found this at an estate sale. This studio centerpiece bears the stamp HP. I believe the glaze and style are consistent with the work of the late British artist Helen Pincombe (1908 - 2004). Can anyone help to verify?  The bowl is 14 3/8 inches in diameter on the top. The base is 10 3/8 inches in diameter. CORRECTED: Weighs 4 pounds. Thank you!

Help in deciphering pottery HP mark (possible Helen Pincombe) Hpbowl10
Help in deciphering pottery HP mark (possible Helen Pincombe) Hpbowl11Help in deciphering pottery HP mark (possible Helen Pincombe) Hpbowl12

Last edited by CarinaMarie on January 7th 2023, 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wrong weight)
CarinaMarie
CarinaMarie

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2023-01-06

Back to top Go down

Help in deciphering pottery HP mark (possible Helen Pincombe) Empty Re: Help in deciphering pottery HP mark (possible Helen Pincombe)

Post by philpot January 7th 2023, 9:44 am

Well it is Very definitely NOT Helen Pincombe, She never ever used a Red glaze like that. She was a pupil of William Staite Murray back in the 30's. Her palette was invariably in the darker tones mostly browns. Equally that base and clay is not like something she  would have made. It is too modern. I have owned several of her pots.
           There are a couple of other British studio  potteries that used an HP mark. Haverfordwst pottery for instance. But again they were all in the Brown tines of the Leach style.
           To my mind, this a Very Modern piece.
          Did I see 40 pounds in weight? That is an enormous weight for a piece of pottery this size!

This is a link to Helen Pimcombe's pots in the Victoria and Albert Museum in London. As you can see, they are nothng like this piece.
https://collections.vam.ac.uk/search/?q=helen%20pincombe
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6381
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Help in deciphering pottery HP mark (possible Helen Pincombe) Empty Re: Help in deciphering pottery HP mark (possible Helen Pincombe)

Post by dantheman January 7th 2023, 9:54 am

I agree, it looks fairly new

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15417
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots January 7th 2023, 2:43 pm

It doesn't look like a piece of studio pottery made in the UK and, therefore, I suspect that it was made in the USA.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7817
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM January 7th 2023, 3:35 pm

Unfortunately it's not on the The Marks Project website of US studio pottery marks

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31420
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by olipayton January 7th 2023, 6:46 pm

Aha, the ever returning HP mark, a few of us have been caught by these initials!
olipayton
olipayton

Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2015-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post by CarinaMarie January 7th 2023, 7:25 pm

Thank you everyone. I rechecked the weight. That was a mistake. It's FOUR pounds not 40. Sorry about that.

So definitely not Helen Pincombe. Must just be a hobby piece. -- Carina
CarinaMarie
CarinaMarie

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2023-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots January 8th 2023, 11:33 am

There is nothing about it to suggest that it was made by a hobby potter. It is very well made and the glazing looks very professional from the images.

I think that it most likely to have been made by an American studio potter that lives in the area that the Estate sale took place. I sell studio pottery to the States and so I appreciate that things can travel around the world but, if not a potter in the state where it was bought then elsewhere in North America would be where I suggest you look. The P in the mark could well stand for "Pottery" and not a surname, so looking for potteries could be another option.

In recent times far more collectors from the States have joined this Forum and so one of them could spot this and know who made it. However, the main knowledge base of the Forum is very much British based.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7817
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum