BC Pottery - Sarah Butler and Martin Clark

5 posters

Go down

BC Pottery -  Sarah Butler and Martin Clark Empty BC Pottery - Sarah Butler and Martin Clark

Post by Neil62 December 15th 2022, 10:18 am

Good morning

I thought I would share with you some photographs of some pots I picked up yesterday from an auction and then asked the question what happened to the Potters who made them?

I bought the lot blind, though I had asked for photos of the marks and a condition report. I knew from the description of the mark that the pots were clearly not by Lucy Rie but they appeared well made, attractive and in her style.
The last pot I made was almost 50 years ago which I still have so technically, these pots could be made easily as far as I am aware!
But I don’t think they can and I liked / like them.
Anyway when I got them home and looked at the marks for the first time it was difficult to decipher where the mark fitted in the parameters of BISPM, nevertheless I indulged myself in what O really like doing researching!!
Several hours later I had found a similar pot for sale on a designers website (without attribution) for £900.
I was quite excited until I saw a pair of ‘designer curtains’ for about a zillion quid then I realised I wasn’t going to be rich!

Anyway I searched boggle eyed until I had one of those ‘hamlet moments’ when the mists cleared and there the mark was on almost the last page in the search parameter which by then I think I’d got to the one which said ‘perverse no idea god only knows what they were thinking’
Naomi don’t know how you’ve got the patience - I understand as an investigator the glee at finding a result and the buzz from that but not to put it all together so 👏 for that.

Anyway the mark was that of Sarah Butler and Martin Clark who in your list you correctly (obviously) identified did some work for Heals and I found at least two pots of theirs which had previously sold at auction, then nothing!

My point is I think the pots I bought are nice and I am surprised their pottery life seems to have stopped. I wondered if anyone knew why or if they are still working together / apart.

BC Pottery -  Sarah Butler and Martin Clark Image27
BC Pottery -  Sarah Butler and Martin Clark Image26
BC Pottery -  Sarah Butler and Martin Clark Image25
Neil62
Neil62

Male Number of posts : 337
Registration date : 2022-04-04

Back to top Go down

BC Pottery -  Sarah Butler and Martin Clark Empty Re: BC Pottery - Sarah Butler and Martin Clark

Post by dantheman December 15th 2022, 10:33 am

10 years ago they were in Bath

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15417
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

BC Pottery -  Sarah Butler and Martin Clark Empty Re: BC Pottery - Sarah Butler and Martin Clark

Post by NaomiM December 17th 2022, 3:36 am

They are now in the bottled drinks business

https://suite.endole.co.uk/insight/company/07364400-the-whent-limited

https://www.thewhent.com/

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31420
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Neil62 December 17th 2022, 7:31 am

Hi Naomi,
Thank you - can’t help thinking what a waste but…..Merry Christmas.
Neil62
Neil62

Back to top Go down

Post by benwilliams December 22nd 2022, 7:53 pm

Nice pots! But I suspect making pots is a hard way to pay the bills, unless you are really successful at selling yourself.
benwilliams
benwilliams

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2017-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Neil62 December 22nd 2022, 8:08 pm

benwilliams wrote:Nice pots! But I suspect making pots is a hard way to pay the bills, unless you are really successful at selling yourself.

Think you are right Ben - I don’t know much about them but I suppose they have to do, as you say, something to pay the billls.
Neil62
Neil62

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots December 23rd 2022, 10:34 am

I knew that I had kept a catalogue that I had been sent by the couple back in 2001 that, I assume, went out to all other galleries and companies that sold hand made studio pottery at the time.

Here's the front cover and page 3 with information about them.

BC Pottery -  Sarah Butler and Martin Clark Bc_cat10

BC Pottery -  Sarah Butler and Martin Clark Bc_det10

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7817
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Neil62 December 23rd 2022, 10:39 am

Brilliant Studio Pots - Thank you for taking the time to look and ma. Wish you, your family and the other contributors on this really useful site a Merry Christmas and a happy and prosperous New Year
Neil62
Neil62
Neil62

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots December 23rd 2022, 10:40 am

The catalogue was 20 pages (including covers) and here is page showing the wholesale prices.

BC Pottery -  Sarah Butler and Martin Clark Bc_pag10

When I saw these wholesale prices I thought their "cut" would be too low to make this a sustainable business and especially when Heals and, I think I remember, the Conran shop began stocking them. I say that because I know that large retailers would never pay anywhere near these wholesale prices and would want volume too. They would also be very slow payers.

Last edited by studio-pots on December 23rd 2022, 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7817
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Neil62 December 23rd 2022, 10:42 am

Pretty inexpensive!!
No wonder they didn’t make it - dad really but they’re probably millionaires in the pop business!!
Thanks again
Neil62
Neil62

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum