Leach pottery, St Ives - can anyone help identify maker and possible date

3 posters

Go down

Leach pottery, St Ives - can anyone help identify maker and possible date Empty Leach pottery, St Ives - can anyone help identify maker and possible date

Post by sarah3645 November 23rd 2022, 6:44 pm

Purchased at auction in Warrington. I know it’s leach pottery just wondering if anyone can give an approximate date or attribute a maker. It looks like an early piece to me but I’m a complete novice. I will have better pictures when I collect it. Any thoughts appreciated.Leach pottery, St Ives - can anyone help identify maker and possible date Cf5f9810
Leach pottery, St Ives - can anyone help identify maker and possible date 049edd10
Leach pottery, St Ives - can anyone help identify maker and possible date 3205ed10
sarah3645
sarah3645

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2020-07-21

Back to top Go down

Leach pottery, St Ives - can anyone help identify maker and possible date Empty Re: Leach pottery, St Ives - can anyone help identify maker and possible date

Post by philpot November 23rd 2022, 7:29 pm

Is that base earthenware? It also looks like the sort of te standard slipware design they did in the mid in the 1930's when Harry Davis (he of the late Crowan pottery) was working there. It might possibly be earlier, but the clay does not look quite right for the 1920's. Unfortunately, although these pieces are quite old, it is only the pieces that can be identified with a specific potter that are eagerly collected.

You could look at our Leach pottery thread for more information. It is all a bit jumbled, but there is a lot of information there!
https://www.20thcenturyforum.com/t9954-the-leach-pottery-st-ives-cornwall?highlight=leach+st+ives
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 5100
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Leach pottery, St Ives - can anyone help identify maker and possible date Empty Re: Leach pottery, St Ives - can anyone help identify maker and possible date

Post by sarah3645 November 23rd 2022, 7:50 pm

Many thanks. I will hopefully know more when I collect it
sarah3645
sarah3645

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots November 24th 2022, 12:20 pm

I concur with philpot's thoughts and it looks to be from the 1930s.

I am assuming that it's quite small and a beaker?

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7267
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sarah3645 November 24th 2022, 1:01 pm

Yes it’s a beaker Leach pottery, St Ives - can anyone help identify maker and possible date 9bfe1010
sarah3645
sarah3645

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot November 24th 2022, 6:27 pm

It would have been part of what we call the Standard Ware range at the time. The standard ware was basically the bread and butter range of the Leach pottery which bought in the money. There were a specific number of shapes which were continuously produced by a team of potters. They could produce quite a few in one day.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 5100
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by sarah3645 November 24th 2022, 6:37 pm

Absolutely fascinating, many thanks for the info. Learning all the time. It’s a fabulous little item 👍
sarah3645
sarah3645

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum