Winchcombe Pottery tankard, PWT mark

4 posters

Go down

Winchcombe Pottery tankard, PWT mark  Empty Winchcombe Pottery tankard, PWT mark

Post by stevelikespots November 7th 2022, 12:03 pm

Hi folks
I was very happy to stumble across this forum full of knowledgable pot enthusiasts and thought someone here might be able to help with an ID for this mark.
It looks a variation on the Winchcombe mark, but i've never seen it before, and have asked an ex-winchcombe potter I know and hes also never seen it. The mug (to me) looks Winchcombe-esque but again, if its standardware, its not one I know.
Any ideas welcome and appreciated, and great to be here.

Winchcombe Pottery tankard, PWT mark  Winchc10
Winchcombe Pottery tankard, PWT mark  Winchc11
stevelikespots
stevelikespots

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2022-11-05

Back to top Go down

Winchcombe Pottery tankard, PWT mark  Empty Re: Winchcombe Pottery tankard, PWT mark

Post by philpot November 7th 2022, 12:17 pm

That certainly is unusual. It looks exactly like a Winchcombe mark with just that extra bar down the bottom. There is a little dot down at the left hand corner edge. That is exactly like what Ray Finch does his own personal mark, but in a different spot. I wonder if is by Ray Finch?
I cannot see it being standard ware because of the mixture of glazes.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6349
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Winchcombe Pottery tankard, PWT mark  Empty Re: Winchcombe Pottery tankard, PWT mark

Post by stevelikespots November 7th 2022, 1:03 pm

Thanks for the response.
The dot in the bottom left looks a little more pronounced in the photos than reality i think - I had written it off as incidental.
If one is optimistic, the horizontal line below the 'w' could form a mirror image 'F' across the vertical...
stevelikespots
stevelikespots

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM November 7th 2022, 1:06 pm

I've come across the mark several times but other than it being a Winchcombe potter it's still a mystery. Best to ask Joe Finch, but I'm not sure even he knows. Peter Turner uses a similar mark but no info on whether he ever potted at Winchcombe

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31290
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM November 7th 2022, 1:17 pm

Just checked in another Group and Joe Finch said he didn't know this mark. Although it's definitely found on Winchcombe pots like your tankard. The long extension below the handle was introduced by Ray Finch.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by stevelikespots November 7th 2022, 1:25 pm

Many thanks NaomiM.
I just had a look at the marks on Peter Turner's work and it would be an elegant combination of the two marks if it is his, speculative though it is...
The mystery continues!
stevelikespots
stevelikespots

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots November 7th 2022, 4:42 pm

I haven't been to the pottery in years but wondered if it might be a mark used currently or recently by a specific potter?

I am thinking after Mike Finch retired in 2016.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7816
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM November 7th 2022, 5:52 pm

Several have turned up recently so they've been in the secondhand system which, as a rough rule of thumb, makes it likely they've been made a generation ago.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by stevelikespots November 8th 2022, 11:46 am

An update; I asked my friend who worked there, and he asked Matt Grimmitt who reports that it is "an oil fired half-pint tankard from the 60's, made at Winchcombe" but no further info on the mark.
stevelikespots
stevelikespots

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM November 20th 2022, 4:58 pm

An update via another group. Although Joe Finch didn't recall the mark, he said it might have been Peter Fletcher who worked at Winchcombe Pottery 1973-77.
Edited to add, Alex McErlain says "definately not Peter Fletcher, he hardly made any pots as he was primarily employed to other tasks. I worked alongside him"

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum