Truro Pottery Cornwall - John Davidson? Barry Huggett? SJ Howe?

2 posters

Go down

Truro Pottery Cornwall - John Davidson? Barry Huggett? SJ Howe? Empty Truro Pottery Cornwall - John Davidson? Barry Huggett? SJ Howe?

Post by potterymad62 May 19th 2022, 6:30 pm

Love to know who potted this vase at the Truro Pottery, John Davidson, Barry Huggett. Can anyone pinpoint the name of the potter, no personal marks or stamps. The design is cut into the body of the clay.

Truro Pottery Cornwall - John Davidson? Barry Huggett? SJ Howe? Pxl_2214
Truro Pottery Cornwall - John Davidson? Barry Huggett? SJ Howe? Pxl_2216
Truro Pottery Cornwall - John Davidson? Barry Huggett? SJ Howe? Pxl_2215
potterymad62
potterymad62

Male Number of posts : 809
Registration date : 2009-07-22

Back to top Go down

Truro Pottery Cornwall - John Davidson? Barry Huggett? SJ Howe? Empty Re: Truro Pottery Cornwall - John Davidson? Barry Huggett? SJ Howe?

Post by NaomiM May 19th 2022, 6:58 pm

I thought it would be John Davidson, but it seems it’s Barry Huggett, unless there were other potters employed there too

https://www.20thcenturyforum.com/t5379-barry-huggett-cornwall#138959

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31481
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Truro Pottery Cornwall - John Davidson? Barry Huggett? SJ Howe? Empty Re: Truro Pottery Cornwall - John Davidson? Barry Huggett? SJ Howe?

Post by potterymad62 May 19th 2022, 7:30 pm

NaomiM wrote:I thought it would be John Davidson, but it seems it’s Barry Huggett, unless there were other potters employed there too

https://www.20thcenturyforum.com/t5379-barry-huggett-cornwall#138959
This pot might be a little to late for Barry Pascoe or Henry Venn who worked at the pottery and also Calenick used a similar mark with CALENICK before TRURO POTTERY CORNWALL, If I'm correct.
potterymad62
potterymad62

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM May 19th 2022, 7:42 pm

I don’t think Henry Venn and Barry Pascoe were the potters at this one. Venn had a pottery in Truro before WW1 and then he and Pascoe joined Lakes Pottery. at Truro Pottery from 1978-81

Last edited by NaomiM on March 2nd 2023, 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by potterymad62 May 19th 2022, 7:53 pm

NaomiM wrote:I don’t think Henry Venn and Barry Pascoe were the potters at this one. Venn had a pottery in Truro before WW1 and then he and Pascoe joined Lakes Pottery.
These Truro and Calenick pots look 60s-70s, but the Marks book says Huggett was potting from 1996 and certainly used this stamp so it’s still a bit of a mystery

Agree NaomiM! I know Barry is at Swanpool and he was also on Instagram but his page is not showing up in search. Do you know his contact details, also done a search but cannot find any details on his studio in Swanpool, will contact him if I can and clear this pot up.
potterymad62
potterymad62

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM May 19th 2022, 8:01 pm

I’m afraid I don’t. Maybe some of the galleries that stock his work would have his contact details.
This was this snippet from one gallery entry for Huggett, so maybe Truro Pottery and Lakes Pottery are one and the same? I read Lakes burnt down in 1975 and struggled on until 1980, but other entries say it continued to the 90s

Truro Pottery Cornwall - John Davidson? Barry Huggett? SJ Howe? Ef61fb10

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by potterymad62 May 19th 2022, 8:10 pm

When I was on Instagram I used to visit his gallery page and exchange chat with him regarding his work, I myself no longer have a Instagram account so not possibly and can no longer find his page in search so he probably closed it recently. Thanks anyway and see if I can find his details online through galleries as you suggested Excellent
potterymad62
potterymad62

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM September 28th 2023, 4:00 pm

SJ Howe also potted at Truro Pottery in the 70s. A couple of quotes from FB

"He wrote a very good article for Ceramic Review, no 76 1982 ,on the Geology of the Lizard. He had a pottery in Helston at the time"

"He trained under Bill Marshall at Camborne , then worked at the Leach St Ives and Truro Potteries"

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum