CHICKEN BIRD INCISED DECORATION FISH MARK? - George Cook, Ambleside

+2
dantheman
NaomiM
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

CHICKEN BIRD INCISED DECORATION FISH MARK? - George Cook, Ambleside   Empty CHICKEN BIRD INCISED DECORATION FISH MARK? - George Cook, Ambleside

Post by Leach54321 May 18th 2022, 3:50 pm

This is a large and unusual pottery bird with distinctive incised decoration and what looks like bells / decorations around the neck - it has a fish like incised mark to the base - does the bird or mark look familiar to anyone as its very distinctive and unusual!

CHICKEN BIRD INCISED DECORATION FISH MARK? - George Cook, Ambleside   Img_9812
CHICKEN BIRD INCISED DECORATION FISH MARK? - George Cook, Ambleside   Img_9813
CHICKEN BIRD INCISED DECORATION FISH MARK? - George Cook, Ambleside   Img_9814
Leach54321
Leach54321

Number of posts : 354
Registration date : 2018-03-19

Back to top Go down

CHICKEN BIRD INCISED DECORATION FISH MARK? - George Cook, Ambleside   Empty Re: CHICKEN BIRD INCISED DECORATION FISH MARK? - George Cook, Ambleside

Post by NaomiM May 18th 2022, 6:13 pm

Looks like George Cook’s signature. Ambleside Pottery

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31289
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

CHICKEN BIRD INCISED DECORATION FISH MARK? - George Cook, Ambleside   Empty Re: CHICKEN BIRD INCISED DECORATION FISH MARK? - George Cook, Ambleside

Post by Potteryman May 18th 2022, 10:31 pm

That’s George Cooks personal mark ….
Potteryman
Potteryman

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2017-08-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Leach54321 May 19th 2022, 5:15 pm

Thank you for all your help in identifying this. Very much appreciated
Leach54321
Leach54321

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. May 19th 2022, 5:40 pm

BTW that is LOVELY! rare and unusual- is there damage?
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Male Number of posts : 5607
Registration date : 2009-12-19

http://www.briglin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Leach54321 May 20th 2022, 4:04 pm

Unfortunately there is damage - the neck has been off at some stage and some of the embellishments around the neck have also been off and glued back on!
Leach54321
Leach54321

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. May 20th 2022, 5:10 pm

Still a nice thing. My ambitions is to retire and go on a ceramics restoration course so I can repair things properly with out all the brown glue showing
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Back to top Go down

Post by Leach54321 May 27th 2022, 5:00 pm

Yes I would also love to learn how to restore pieces but unfortunately don't have the time! If I did decide to sell this then I would sell it locally (I am in Berkshire) as I wouldn't risk posting it
Leach54321
Leach54321

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM May 27th 2022, 6:37 pm

I’m in Berkshire. I’d be happy to collect it Excellent

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Leach54321 May 27th 2022, 7:05 pm

Okay I will have a think about it but not sure what I will do
Leach54321
Leach54321

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. May 27th 2022, 7:17 pm

Lol - so am I - You are in Hampshire Naomi - it says so under your Name! Big Laughter
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman May 27th 2022, 7:51 pm

now now you two! If you are going to squabble about it, I will buy the bird as I live in the correct part of Berkshire

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15414
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM May 27th 2022, 8:39 pm

22 Crawford St. wrote:Lol - so am I - You are in Hampshire Naomi - it says so under your Name! Big Laughter

North Hampshire/Berkshire border. Can practically step over the line Big Laughter

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. May 27th 2022, 9:07 pm

Well as the saying goes all is fair in Love, War and pottery buying CHICKEN BIRD INCISED DECORATION FISH MARK? - George Cook, Ambleside   131725

I am the only local with a fair Cook collection as posted

I'm still actually sulking about a piece of Scandi last month - I've waited years for one to come up and it sat a £20 for ages and I was outbid even though I bid double what the last one went for and it went to USA. You can tell because the postage changed to US.
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Back to top Go down

Post by Leach54321 May 28th 2022, 7:28 pm

Thank you all for your interest - I am away for a few weeks and will have a think about what I will do about the bird when I am back
Leach54321
Leach54321

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM May 28th 2022, 8:20 pm

If you sell on eBay then you can list it as collection only.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman May 28th 2022, 9:00 pm

or just PM the forum member you like best Pondering

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman May 28th 2022, 9:02 pm

Oh! and have a lovely trip Most Excellent

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

CHICKEN BIRD INCISED DECORATION FISH MARK? - George Cook, Ambleside   Empty Ambleside Bird

Post by Leach54321 December 21st 2022, 3:37 pm

Hi - Apologies for the delay. I was still not sure what to do about the bird but have decided to put this in a local auction - SAS Auctions in Newbury and in their next Antiques and Collectibles Auction on 4th Jan 2023 (Lot No 27) - this can of course be collected from Newbury or the auction
house also send items by post.
Leach54321
Leach54321

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. December 21st 2022, 5:00 pm

Lot 27 of 451:George Cook (1919-1982) for Ambleside Pottery, a studio pottery bird, possibly a stylised pheasant, 34cm high with some damage AF: Estimate £200 - £300 - George Cook (1919-1982) for Ambleside Pottery, a studio pottery bird, possibly a stylised pheasant, 34cm high with some damage AF

I won't post the link as its probably against forum rules.

22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot December 21st 2022, 5:59 pm

That is a hefty estimate for a damaged piece. Given the extras that you will have to pay.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6349
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. December 21st 2022, 6:46 pm

Buyers Premium: 25% + VAT (total 30%)

Lots purchased online with the-saleroom.com will attract an additional charge for this service in the sum of 5% of the hammer price plus VAT at the rate imposed (total 6%) I assume you can avoid this.

total 36% if you go through the saleroom + postage.

so equates to £272 to £408 + postage.

Is that right?

22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Back to top Go down

Post by Potteryman December 21st 2022, 6:49 pm

Bid £200 and it’ll cost you £260 plus shipping around £35 i would think….they ship in house but they are usually around that from memory for this house….so just under £300 minimum if that’s the reserve….
Potteryman
Potteryman

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2017-08-30

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot December 22nd 2022, 8:14 am

The only other piece to George Cook's in Animal work was a Fish at Adam Partridge on October 28 this year. Hammer price was £110.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6349
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. December 22nd 2022, 10:30 am

This one. Not really comparable, the fish are later and moulded. Leach54321's bird is singed CooK and look at the work he put into the body. I could see it perching perfectly happily alongside a Margaret Hine bird on someone's mantle piece.

https://live.adampartridge.co.uk/m/lot-details/index/catalog/268/lot/186988?url=%2Fm%2Fsearch%3Fkey%3Dambleside%26xclosed%3Dno
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum