Yunomi, green glaze, incised - Mike Dodd

3 posters

Go down

Yunomi, green glaze, incised - Mike Dodd Empty Yunomi, green glaze, incised - Mike Dodd

Post by benwilliams February 22nd 2022, 2:47 pm

Yunomi, green glaze, incised, Mike Dodd?
I’m just checking my mum was right with this one. The mark seems glazed in.
I’ve seen very similar shapes and glazing on the Goldmarkart site for Mike Dodd’s yunomis .
I’m hoping someone who’s handled more of his stuff than me would be a bit more certain.
Yunomi, green glaze, incised - Mike Dodd 002e5810
Yunomi, green glaze, incised - Mike Dodd 5eb58910
Yunomi, green glaze, incised - Mike Dodd Bfcbe510
benwilliams
benwilliams

Number of posts : 1694
Registration date : 2017-12-27

Back to top Go down

Yunomi, green glaze, incised - Mike Dodd Empty Re: Yunomi, green glaze, incised - Mike Dodd

Post by NaomiM February 22nd 2022, 2:55 pm

It does look typical of his style

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 27114
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Yunomi, green glaze, incised - Mike Dodd Empty Re: Yunomi, green glaze, incised - Mike Dodd

Post by studio-pots February 25th 2022, 5:59 pm

Mike had a tenancy to often completely glaze over his impressed seal and when he had exhibits with me in Greenwich I asked him to stick labels with his signature on the bottom like this. This he did and continued to do elsewhere for a while at least.

So it looks like a Mike Dodd yunomi with a label.

Last edited by studio-pots on February 26th 2022, 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7193
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by benwilliams February 26th 2022, 4:41 pm

Thanks Studio,
I’m glad you think it is Mike Dodd. It’s very likely Eva bought it from one of your selling exhibitions- but the label is one of hers. She seems to have been pretty good at labelling her pots correctly. She only started later in life when she started getting a lot and it got confusing. I’m going to start now!
benwilliams
benwilliams

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots February 26th 2022, 5:51 pm

I suspect that it came from one of Mike's Harlequin Gallery exhibitions but it could also have been "before my time" when Trevor Coldrey ran the gallery.

I think that the bottom line is that Mike really spent a great deal of time collecting rocks and silt to make and experiment with glazes and I can't imagine anyone else being able to achieve that glaze mix.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by benwilliams February 26th 2022, 6:46 pm

I’m getting confused with names and places already. Oh dear. You’re probably right - mum bought a good few pieces from the Harlequin.
And the glazing range of colours on the yunomi is pretty distinctive.
benwilliams
benwilliams

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots February 26th 2022, 8:57 pm

Trevor Coldrey started the Harlequin Gallery in Greenwich in 1991 and his first exhibition was of Mike Dodd's pots. He closed the gallery for much of 1998 and then I took over at the beginning of 1999 in Greenwich and ran the gallery there for 10 years, with Trevor as my landlord. Your mother was a customer from the beginning and, if you like, came to me with the gallery.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by benwilliams March 1st 2022, 1:46 pm

Thanks for inheriting my mum. She loved coming in and buying the odd piece.
benwilliams
benwilliams

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum