MAAK/DRISCOLL

4 posters

Go down

MAAK/DRISCOLL  Empty MAAK/DRISCOLL

Post by croker February 18th 2022, 12:13 pm

The MAAK sale part 2 of the Driscoll collection is now on line ,unfortunately 5% import vat to be added to each lot.
croker
croker

Number of posts : 672
Registration date : 2021-01-20

Back to top Go down

MAAK/DRISCOLL  Empty Re: MAAK/DRISCOLL

Post by philpot February 18th 2022, 4:10 pm

Another start studded selection only beaten recently by the Driscoll items that were at Philips! It will be interesting to see how the Bernard Leach and Michael Cardew do of which there are a fair number. A very good selection of the standard modern British as well. Lot of Mary Rogers and Ewen Henderson with a good smattering of the usual cohort. Estimates seem about right to seel, and I think of good deal of items there will go a lot higher!
But extra costs do add up. 22.5% Buyer's Premium+ VAT, 5% Import Tax, 4%Artiist Retail Rights over 1000 Euros. On most of the dearer that you are going to have extra costs of 35% plus.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6381
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by croker February 18th 2022, 4:26 pm

As you say i think most items will go higher due to the Driscoll collection provenance, also a number were exhibited in 'Things of Beauty Growing', I might have a punt on lot 170 the small Henderson piece , the Rie pieces don't really appeal but the large Janet Leach charger looks good if not a little overpriced.
croker
croker

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump February 18th 2022, 7:44 pm

So where are these items coming from? Items "repatriated" to their country of
manufacture, shouldn't be subject to import duties.
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Number of posts : 7206
Registration date : 2014-06-01

http://www.magicfabric.magix.net/public/

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot February 18th 2022, 9:06 pm

He was an important American collector Dan. All these items come come from his Estate as he died last year. So they all come from the USA.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by croker February 19th 2022, 2:13 pm

Hi denbydump, It would seem that you can be charged either 5% or 20% VAT on entry depending on how the item being imported is categorised (and how good the sender is in filling forms) .Recently i enquired about a John Ward pot on ebay from the US (the pot is still listed) and was told the import VAT would be around £800 ,the pot is around £3200 so i dropped my interest as i felt it was too risky. I guess major auction rooms would fill forms correctly and so get the 5%. I believe items of historic or cultural interest may have different rules.
croker
croker

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots February 20th 2022, 5:50 pm

When John Driscoll bought from me the items were collected by UPS and the wording that he asked for was quite specific and 7 copies of all documents were required. The wording included "unique art object", which is probably the crucial term. I still use it today when I send pots to North America. I have never asked my buyers if it works but no one has ever moaned about the high import duty.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7817
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot February 21st 2022, 6:35 pm

I think the interesting point being, that the Driscoll collection came from America because somebody thought that it would get better prices here. That is highly unusual! Most of the time the trade is exactly the other way in auctions. Hence we are just not used to the 5% import tax being levied on auction items in this country.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots February 21st 2022, 8:31 pm

Back in the days of Cyril Frankel at Bonhams/Phillips, almost all of the Japanese pottery was imported from Japan to be sold here because the prices were considerably higher here. I talking about dead potters. It seems that in Japan once someone dies then most collectors lose interest.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7817
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot May 6th 2022, 3:50 pm

https://maaklondon.irostrum.com/auction/auction-lots/a9eaa0c6-549c-49fd-8941-134d23d0be06/lots
The latest sale 23-26 May. The usual high quality pieces with a fairly large selection from the Driscoll Collection it seems. Bernard Leach and Michael Cardew in particular,
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by croker May 6th 2022, 5:43 pm

I am quite surprised at some of the fairly low estimates especially on the John Ward pieces,( perhaps a sign of these uncertain times) , a nice selection of Lucie Rie and a good Coper piece, the Suttie pieces are interesting but i wonder if he is still has his popularity , the Henderson pieces are ok but i only find one of any interest to me.
croker
croker

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot May 6th 2022, 6:27 pm

The Fritsch pieces looked interesting. Auction estimates deserve a thread just to themselves! Signs of the economic times perhaps? During the last five years or so, the Studio pottery market has become quite a frothy one. But then so has the whole Contemporary Art Market!
You do not see much Angus Suttie on the market, so it would be interesting to see how they go. A bit odd to see a John Dunn there at a fairly hefty price! He rarely gets much at all at most auctions,
Some Potters do not sell well on Maak. Alan Caiger Smith always seems to struggle a bit.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by croker May 6th 2022, 7:15 pm

The Fritsch pieces are good but i have never managed to buy one even when placing what i consider good bids , i think at the moment other potters interest me more, as you say auction estimates can be strange but they do reflect what the vendor would be willing to accept at the moment , MAAK reserves seem to be around 5% below the lower estimate, it's not very likely that any of these pots are going to be knocked down at the the low estimate but we live in hope. I am not familiar with Dunn's work , i like the Duckworth piece though.
croker
croker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum