Monster jug - Graeme James, Australian, Chipping Campden

4 posters

Go down

Monster jug - Graeme James, Australian, Chipping Campden Empty Monster jug - Graeme James, Australian, Chipping Campden

Post by HelenC January 27th 2022, 4:28 pm

I bought this jug unseen at auction for my collection - I knew it was big but underestimated just how big - it’s 55cm high! Beautifully thrown with a lovely pulled handle but just signed “James” to the base. Any thoughts about a maker? There are some faint numbers and letters to the base, but I think it’s a safe bet this wasn’t a glaze test firing!

Monster jug - Graeme James, Australian, Chipping Campden 2bc11610
Monster jug - Graeme James, Australian, Chipping Campden 499e7a10
Monster jug - Graeme James, Australian, Chipping Campden D76bd210
HelenC
HelenC

Number of posts : 274
Registration date : 2021-01-29

Back to top Go down

Monster jug - Graeme James, Australian, Chipping Campden Empty Re: Monster jug - Graeme James, Australian, Chipping Campden

Post by benwilliams January 27th 2022, 4:40 pm

CV23 9EF postcode? Seems odd but who knows.
benwilliams
benwilliams

Number of posts : 2290
Registration date : 2017-12-27

Back to top Go down

Monster jug - Graeme James, Australian, Chipping Campden Empty Re: Monster jug - Graeme James, Australian, Chipping Campden

Post by HelenC January 27th 2022, 4:55 pm

Thank you very much - a CV postcode would make sense. A bit of research suggests CV33 9EF might be worth a bit more research, there’s a craft centre at that postcode now - maybe a pottery before?

Maybe a commission piece (it’s not the sort of thing you’d have a lot of in stock!) and the postcode is the reference for the buyer?
HelenC
HelenC

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot January 28th 2022, 9:57 am

Fascinating piece. You would have to be a highly skilled potter to do that! One wonders if is looking at the white label which has come off as to the maker? The name on the bottom being somewhat irrelevant? Where did you buy it? Given the assumption that whoppers like this might not have travelled far from home?
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6381
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by HelenC January 28th 2022, 10:42 am

Hi, it was bought in Coventry so you’re probably right, it stayed local. And yes, an extremely skillful potter, to throw a jug likey hi Sal most two feet tall is a real achievement. That’s why I find a forename scratched into the base an anomaly!
HelenC
HelenC

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot January 28th 2022, 11:20 am

There have been a number of Studio pottery galleries in Stratford Upon Avon who might have sold it, equally Reg Moon at Torquil pottery in Henley in Arden had big two big exhibitions a years.
I don't think it looks the type of thing that Jim Malone. Mike Dodd or Phil Rogers would make. It looks a slightly older type of Leach style pottery. Geoffrey Whiting or David Lloyd Jones type potters who would actually had the skill to make this type of thing.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6381
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Pugmill August 10th 2023, 11:27 am

Graeme James, Australian, lived in Chipping Campden. Hand signed some of his work James.
Pugmill
Pugmill

Number of posts : 294
Registration date : 2013-12-05

Back to top Go down

Post by HelenC August 10th 2023, 8:01 pm

Thank you - I do like to see loose ends tied up up!
HelenC
HelenC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum