Help identifying age & maker for a silver salt? spoon. Richard Crossley?

3 posters

Go down

Help identifying age & maker for a silver salt? spoon.  Richard Crossley? Empty Help identifying age & maker for a silver salt? spoon. Richard Crossley?

Post by Seal on a Rock January 23rd 2022, 2:28 pm

Here's my next item I'm trying to identify.  It's been used as a sugar or jam spoon in my family but I think it might be a salt spoon?

Reading from left to right we have the lion (passant?  is that the right term?) then a lower case 't' in what might be a shield shape or a square with cut off edges (the bottom is worn, so not sure if the rounded shape was original), then silhouette of head & shoulders (I think they are looking to the right, but can't be sure due to wear) and then the capital initials RC in a rectangle (upside down compared to all the others) [edited to say sorry, the photo turned upside down on posting, so this is all back to front!]

The closest mark I can find to mine is Richard Crossley - it doesn't look exactly the same, but I can't tell if that's because mine is so worn.  I've also found a date letter that looks like mine and has a king's head stamp looking to the right for 1794, which seems to be the time that Richard Crossley was working, but I didn't think my spoon was that old!

Can anyone with some silver knowledge advise?  I know nothing, so have literally just been googling to try to find some marks that look like the ones on my spoon!  

Help identifying age & maker for a silver salt? spoon.  Richard Crossley? 20220114
Help identifying age & maker for a silver salt? spoon.  Richard Crossley? 20220113
Seal on a Rock
Seal on a Rock

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2020-12-19

Back to top Go down

Help identifying age & maker for a silver salt? spoon.  Richard Crossley? Empty Re: Help identifying age & maker for a silver salt? spoon. Richard Crossley?

Post by denbydump January 23rd 2022, 3:12 pm

This looks like Birmingham 1817, though the Birmingham
mark seems to have been rubbed away.

Last edited by denbydump on January 24th 2022, 12:45 am; edited 1 time in total
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Number of posts : 7189
Registration date : 2014-06-01

http://www.magicfabric.magix.net/public/

Back to top Go down

Help identifying age & maker for a silver salt? spoon.  Richard Crossley? Empty Re: Help identifying age & maker for a silver salt? spoon. Richard Crossley?

Post by Seal on a Rock January 23rd 2022, 7:28 pm

Any idea who the maker might have been then?
Seal on a Rock
Seal on a Rock

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump January 24th 2022, 12:38 am

Should be easy to find with the date
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Number of posts : 7189
Registration date : 2014-06-01

http://www.magicfabric.magix.net/public/

Back to top Go down

Post by Seal on a Rock January 24th 2022, 10:25 am

I've looked and can't find any mark that looks right for that time for Birmingham at all. I guess I'll just have to keep my eye open for anything that looks similar in future.
Seal on a Rock
Seal on a Rock

Back to top Go down

Post by Coalman February 5th 2022, 2:17 pm

Pity that the hallmarks are so worn and some altogether lost.

The initials 'RC' in a rectangle confirms that it was made by Richard Crossley.

As the latter operated out of London, it follows that the hallmark will reflect that provenance.

Seal - your guess of 1794 may well be right.

However, the 't' date mark in a (worn) shield would seem to indicate London 1834 as it is somewhat stumpier than the longer 't' font & shield used in London 1794.

As for usage of the spoon, I dunno. There is no scale on the photos but it looks far too big to be a salt spoon.

Please post the dimensions.

Coalman
Coalman

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2022-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Seal on a Rock February 5th 2022, 9:25 pm

Thank you so much for your reply. The spoon is approx 10cm in length and about 2cm across the bowl. I thought it might be a salt spoon because I saw a similar sized & shaped one for sale with that label - but of course, there's no guarantee the seller knew what they were talking about, so that might not have been a salt spoon either!

It's annoying the marks are so worn, but it's had a lot of polishing - my father told me that my grandmother had a dedicated 'spoon polising day' each week, whether they needed polishing or not!
Seal on a Rock
Seal on a Rock

Back to top Go down

Post by Coalman February 6th 2022, 3:24 pm

After Googling around a bit, it looks like your item is a a jam or marmalade spoon. Possibly also a cream spoon.

However, if it was indeed a salt spoon, then it would explain why everybody croaked so early in those days. Happy
Coalman
Coalman

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2022-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Seal on a Rock February 6th 2022, 4:21 pm

Coalman wrote:After Googling around a bit, it looks like your item is a a jam or marmalade spoon.  Possibly also a cream spoon.

However, if it was indeed a salt spoon, then it would explain why everybody croaked so early in those days.  Happy
" then it would explain why everybody croaked so early in those days."

You may well be right - my grandparents used to have a salt crust on top of their food, they added so much!

It's the right size for adding salt to a batch of bread dough, but a little bit fancy for the job. I use a modern stainless steel spoon for the bread and keep this one for jam or sugar.
Seal on a Rock
Seal on a Rock

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum