19th century Portrait miniatures on ivory

3 posters

Go down

19th century Portrait miniatures on ivory Empty 19th century Portrait miniatures on ivory

Post by rabbit82 Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:29 pm

Hello members
I have posted these miniatures from my collection (have about 30)
May be husband and wife or brother and sister.
Interesting that she has his miniature hanging around her neck in the painting.
very rare for them still to be together after such a long time(painted around 1830-40) not signed may be by William Egley 1798-1870 English,or William Ross 1795-1860.
Also English. They were both the few artists that painted dogs (manly spaniels in there paintings)
19th century Portrait miniatures on ivory RlDBifp
19th century Portrait miniatures on ivory ECF5yeJ
19th century Portrait miniatures on ivory Axr0Z9L

Regards rabbit.
rabbit82
rabbit82

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2020-05-13

Back to top Go down

19th century Portrait miniatures on ivory Empty Re: 19th century Portrait miniatures on ivory

Post by NaomiM Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:02 pm

As these ivory items are pre-1940s they are OK at this time. Comments moved to Review for discussion on the subject of ivory with fellow Mods.
As far as I’m aware we don’t allow posts of post-1940s ivory

Last edited by NaomiM on Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:22 pm; edited 3 times in total

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31419
Registration date : 2012-05-16

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

19th century Portrait miniatures on ivory Empty Re: 19th century Portrait miniatures on ivory

Post by croker Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:15 pm

Hi Naomin, Am i to understand that objects from any period are now permissible on the forum , i thought the whole idea of the forum was for mainly modern or 20th century objects.
croker
croker

Number of posts : 672
Registration date : 2021-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:18 pm

Sorry, I was in the process of  editing my comment above while you were posting. Since we are now in the 21st Century we have broadened the remit of the forum to include Antique and modern items. Sometimes items turn out to be antique and are useful for reference so by default pre-20thC items are on the Forum.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31419
Registration date : 2012-05-16

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by rabbit82 Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:41 pm

Hello Naomi
Thanks for your comments.
I am sorry if I posted my earlier miniatures (1830-40) incorrectly on this forum.
I purchase my miniatures for their artistic merit ,not for their ivory content ,(most people would not know they are on ivory)
As I stated previously these were done in a different time,before there were the issues with the elephants.

I am not sure why most post has turned into an ivory discussion ,and not an art discussion.

Regards rabbit.
rabbit82
rabbit82

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2020-05-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum