Mystery JW mark - ( not Jason Wason or John Ward)

4 posters

Go down

Mystery JW mark - ( not Jason Wason or John Ward) Empty Mystery JW mark - ( not Jason Wason or John Ward)

Post by philpot Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:10 pm

Did someone get a John Ward Bargain? At Stamford Auctions this morning. Hammer price was £90, estimate was £20-£50. Not one I would have bid on myself, as I would have wanted to have a good look at it in person. as I thought it would have gone for a lot more!Mystery JW mark - ( not Jason Wason or John Ward) Img_0637
Mystery JW mark - ( not Jason Wason or John Ward) Img_0638
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6381
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Mystery JW mark - ( not Jason Wason or John Ward) Empty Re: Mystery JW mark - ( not Jason Wason or John Ward)

Post by croker Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:23 pm

Hi Philpot, This pot is not a John Ward piece at least not made by the John Ward that i collect, i think it's possibly by an American potter of the same name . This pot turned up at a sale in Lincolnshire a while back and sold as an example of Wards work and i can only think it must have been returned and resold at a later date.
croker
croker

Number of posts : 672
Registration date : 2021-01-20

Back to top Go down

Mystery JW mark - ( not Jason Wason or John Ward) Empty Re: Mystery JW mark - ( not Jason Wason or John Ward)

Post by NaomiM Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:00 pm

Jason Wason, maybe, but the stamp looks a bit too tidy for him. Would be a bargain price if it’s one of his.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31419
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:14 pm

NaomiM wrote:Jason Wason, maybe, but the stamp looks a bit too tidy for him. Would be a bargain price if it’s one of his.

It does look like an earlier version of some of Jason's later pots and so that seems a good shout.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7817
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Mystery JW mark - ( not Jason Wason or John Ward) Empty Mystery JW mark - Jason Wason? (not John Ward)

Post by NaomiM Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:53 pm

There's also a similar JW mark found on tiles, etc, from the early 70s which is too early for Wason and still a mystery.
I'll split this off into a new thread, since it's not a John Ward pot

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31419
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by croker Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:09 pm

It does illustrate the possible dangers of buying just on the strength of a mark without having knowledge of the potter, when this pot first came up at stamfords auction earlier in the year it was accompanied by glowing description of the potters history etc.
croker
croker

Number of posts : 672
Registration date : 2021-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum