22 Crawford St.
ppcollectables
croker
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

mallams design sale - Page 2 Empty Re: mallams design sale

Post by philpot Mon May 23, 2022 5:02 pm

Same old Studio. Auctioneers acting under outdated laws which does not give the general public the protection of normal consumer law.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 4883
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman Mon May 23, 2022 6:28 pm

just because I like to play Devil's advocate Phil; Have you ever returned a pot that you bought at an antiques fair because you failed to spot damage when you bought it?

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15267
Registration date : 2008-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots Mon May 23, 2022 9:04 pm

dantheman wrote:just because I like to play Devil's advocate Phil; Have you ever returned a pot that you bought at an antiques fair because you failed to spot damage when you bought it?

My quote above does cover damage but, perhaps, more importantly covers everything else such as whether it was made by the person that they and the vendor say that it was made by. As a dealer, if I say a pot was made by Joanna Constantinidis then I am guaranteeing that she made it and, if the buyer at any point in the future finds out that it was not made by her and can show me the evidence then I would refund in full upon return of the item. My view is that anything other than that action is dishonest.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7193
Registration date : 2011-02-18

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. Mon May 23, 2022 9:28 pm

I think we are all forgetting that auctions were traditionally for dealers not the general public. Auctioneers had to keep their dealers happy as they bought the lions share of what was being sold. They all know each other. It was a sale for the trade. Now because of all the TV programmes and the internet along comes Joe public and at times he's getting fleeced. i would suggest that everyone had bad experiences at auctions at some point, along with pubs there are legions of dodgy things that can happen.
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Male Number of posts : 4812
Registration date : 2009-12-20

http://www.briglin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by croker Mon May 23, 2022 11:54 pm

Far too many buyers are are inexperienced at buying at auction and when they make a mistake they blame the auction house ,they would be better by far seeking out a good dealer or gallery to buy from ,in the past when we dealt at fairs our items were vetted before the fair opened , but at auctions and places like Newark etc i think buyers need a certain amount of knowledge of restoration and rightness to buy with confidence if not mistakes will be made .Misattributions by auction houses can very often work in the favour of the knowledgeable buyer and be very profitable. Most good auction houses will accept a return for a wrong attribution or if an item turns out to be faked.
croker
croker

Number of posts : 469
Registration date : 2021-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum