22 Crawford St.
ppcollectables
croker
7 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

mallams design sale Empty mallams design sale

Post by croker November 8th 2021, 5:38 pm

Mallams sale is now online with many lower priced items of studio pottery, nothing outstanding although some pieces of interest and they are still trying to shift the Rie pot with the large carbuncle, the paintings are better with some reasonably good abstracts.
croker
croker

Number of posts : 665
Registration date : 2021-01-20

Back to top Go down

mallams design sale Empty Re: mallams design sale

Post by philpot November 8th 2021, 6:00 pm

https://www.mallams.co.uk/sales/oxford/bh091221/?p=1&s=160&v=list#lot-500

A substantial part of the studio is the Daphne Swann collection. Wooley and Wallis estimates are generally fairly low. Nice overall selection with a lot of pieces of solid work. But hardly any Gosh Wow! items.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6349
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by croker November 9th 2021, 10:41 am

It would seem that Daphne Swan had a liking for small almost miniature pieces, the brown Ward piece is probably among the smallest if not the smallest piece of his i have seen.
croker
croker

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot November 9th 2021, 12:48 pm

Nothing wrong with small done well. Mary Rogers, Ursula Morley Price, Deidre Burnett back in the 70's did a lot of beautiful small work. Hand builders themselves often did small work. Indeed it is unusual for John Ward not to have done much small work. Also it is easier on the purse, and ideal for smaller domestic spaces.
On the other hand! You do have to have an excellent eye for a smaller piece collection. It tends to show it s weaknesses more clearly.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by croker November 9th 2021, 1:04 pm

I agree and i think the work of Mary Rodgers would only look right on a on a small scale, the ward pot has intrigued me and i will probably place a bid on it , having never seen a miniature enclosed pot by him i think with this shape and decoration it would be worth having in a collection.
croker
croker

Back to top Go down

Post by ppcollectables November 9th 2021, 1:09 pm

Mallams tend to get good prices in their studio pots/design sales. I guess there is a lot of money in the Oxford area. I'll go and view as it is a good excuse to got to Oxford for a day out - visit Blackwells, good butchers in the covered market and the Ashmoleum.
ppcollectables
ppcollectables

Number of posts : 413
Registration date : 2009-05-31

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot November 9th 2021, 1:39 pm

Oxford had the long running Oxford Ceramic gallery for many years. Oxford ceramics must have been there for about 15 years now. Trouble with Mallams is its central site. Oxford centre is a nightmare, and park and ride is really the only solution.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by ppcollectables November 9th 2021, 2:21 pm

I walk to Sandhurst stn, train to Rdg, then direct train to Oxford, cheaper and quicker than car with no need to bother with park and ride and Mallams only short walk from the stn.
ppcollectables
ppcollectables

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. November 9th 2021, 3:19 pm

This black ACS is interesting Lot 657

Do you think is was overfired?

https://www.mallams.co.uk/sales/oxford/bh091221/view-lot/657/
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Male Number of posts : 5607
Registration date : 2009-12-19

http://www.briglin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM November 9th 2021, 4:44 pm

22 Crawford St. wrote:This black ACS is interesting Lot 657

Do you think is was overfired?

https://www.mallams.co.uk/sales/oxford/bh091221/view-lot/657/

It might be from New Zealand . I was contacted recently by an Australian couple thinking they had a few lustre glazed pots by Caiger-Smith and they turned out to be by a New Zealand potter. I’m not seeing an Aldermaston mark on the pot

https://www.20thcenturyforum.com/t29737-lustre-ware-by-john-green-nelson-new-zealand#205355

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31289
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. November 9th 2021, 5:16 pm

Ahhhhhh - it stood out as odd - could well be - did not see the ACS mark was missing
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Male Number of posts : 5607
Registration date : 2009-12-19

http://www.briglin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot November 9th 2021, 5:30 pm

I agree with Naomi. It is not Alan Caiger Smith. No signature, not even a Aldermaston glaze code. The style is just different as well.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by ppcollectables November 10th 2021, 3:46 pm

I see that the larger John Ward piece has a faint hairline - so thats why the estimate was low.
ppcollectables
ppcollectables

Back to top Go down

Post by croker November 12th 2021, 12:36 pm

Hi pp, I have often been tempted by ward pieces with low estimates and slight damage but i find that once purchased the damage tends to grate a bit so i now leave well alone, hand built pieces by Betty Blandino often suffer like this as well with feint hairlines from the rim , i am not sure but in the building process i think there is thinning towards the rims which leave these pieces open to stress fractures .
croker
croker

Back to top Go down

Post by ppcollectables November 12th 2021, 1:30 pm

Yes , you may not be able to see the fault but you'll still know its there.
ppcollectables
ppcollectables

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot November 12th 2021, 4:21 pm

Its like a little niggle at the back of your mind. Your gaze comes across it and it just pauses for a second in a moment of regret.....You won't forget! Laughter Laughter Laughter
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot December 9th 2021, 3:44 pm

The actual Mallams Design Sale was quite a tame affair. A good deal of it went at the bottom end of the estimate, and most within them. A noterable one was a 15 cm Richard Batterham cut sided Bowl which went for £780. A couple of years ago it would probably have gone for a quarter of that.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by croker April 27th 2022, 5:44 pm

Mallams latest design sale is now online with a fair number of studio ceramics , mostly in the affordable mid range , nothing outstanding but a few interesting pieces included, worth a look .
croker
croker

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot April 30th 2022, 5:28 pm

Yes indeed, a sale that you could pick up a fairly decent collection of medium range and reputation studio pottery. The estimates are quite tempting, and in today's market may well be where the price ends up. If it sold of course!
The only piece of Real Note is A St Ives Chess Set. Now those are genuinely rare!
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots May 1st 2022, 11:27 am

I used to go regularly to their sales but found that many pieces had damage that was rarely mentioned and so you had to check very carefully. The low estimates did mean that buyers and dealers used to be there in force and so anything undamaged and good sold well for the seller and auction house.

I suppose, if you were buying for your collection you could pick up something good at a fair price and I know a North American dealer that has been able to buy well because what he wants isn't really considered of interest in the UK.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7816
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot May 21st 2022, 8:09 am

https://www.mallams.co.uk/sales/oxford/bh190522/?p=1&s=160&v=list#lot-500
          The results of the latest Mallams sale of studio pottery. Most stuff went within what were relatively low estimates, with not too many unsolds. £1900 for a 38 cms Richard Batterham was interesting. Dan Kelly did badly. De Waal did his average high prices, Lot 524 sold as a Joanna Constanididis for £350, a small yunomi it looked more like the work of Clare Sutcliffe to me.
         On a more trendy note the auctioneer noted that Oxford now has a  low car emissions zone. So he warned customers who collected, to Check on the Council website to see of they needed to. Mallams has an Oxford City Centre site which is quite difficult to get  at by car!
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by croker May 21st 2022, 7:05 pm

It seems that Batterham pots have drifted back to normality with the exception of his large vases which i think deserve the higher prices as they are exceptional examples of this type of pottery, i was surprised the Paul Soldner piece didn't sell as he is highly rated in the USA, and the ever popular De Waal continues to coin it in Happy
croker
croker

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots May 21st 2022, 11:02 pm

I checked the results and some appeared lower than I would have expected, but as I said above, it could have been because of damage that wasn't mentioned.

Equally, it could have been because things are very slow generally at the moment, but we'll never know, if we weren't there.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot May 22nd 2022, 6:03 pm

Its markets at the moment, and they are in a state of flux. The bread and butter stuff tends tends to worsen, and the top levels do not get so much, while still holding up reasonably well.
At the top end of the Art Market, world records are still being broken.
Where everything is heading of course is anybody's guess. But given inflation and the Ukraine war. it is a decidedly uncertain outlook.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots May 22nd 2022, 11:23 pm

but there are still two people that will bid Lot 524 up, making one of them pay £455, for something that doesn't look like any Constantinidis that I've ever seen.

I can never understand why people continue to buy from businesses that cover themselves by saying that everything that they say about an item is "a matter of opinion" and they do not accept any liability if that opinion is incorrect.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum: