Studio ceramics at Partridge auction

5 posters

Go down

Studio ceramics at Partridge auction Empty Studio ceramics at Partridge auction

Post by croker October 13th 2021, 4:59 pm

Just viewed the latest offering from Partridge's studio pottery sale , there is a fair amount of good Wallwork and and a few large Welch pieces but the rest of the sale is pretty average i think, the star of the show is the Jennifer Lee bowl also there is a good John Ward pot.
croker
croker

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2021-01-20

Back to top Go down

Studio ceramics at Partridge auction Empty Re: Studio ceramics at Partridge auction

Post by 22 Crawford St. October 13th 2021, 6:19 pm

I like it there is a lot there of low end - usual names
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Male Number of posts : 4378
Registration date : 2009-12-19

http://www.briglin.com

Back to top Go down

Studio ceramics at Partridge auction Empty Re: Studio ceramics at Partridge auction

Post by philpot October 13th 2021, 8:18 pm

Over 700 Lots in a One day sale. Given the slow rather theatrical  rate at which Adam Partridge works, that is going to be a looonnnnggg sale.
             Nice lot of Wallwork, Maltby, Robin Welch, and overall an excellent overview and large selection  of the middle to low range price points in studio pottery. If you are a collector, then there is virtually something there for everyone Which is presumably the aim. To get  good deal of it sold. But on t'other hand, that is a helluva lot of pots in one single day auction. Too many.
             Very few Gosh Wow! stuff as well. The Jennifer Lee and John Ward. But after that?
A link.

https://live.adampartridge.co.uk/m/view-auctions/catalog/id/235?page=1
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 4545
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by croker October 13th 2021, 9:21 pm

Hi Philpot, The lee bowl is good but i think collectors prefer her vase types , she is rare on the market so it will probably sell, as for the Ward piece i am quite surprised at the low reserve as i under bid this item at Woolly and Wallis in 2018 and it sold then at £5000 plus premium and arr. The Wallwork would appear to be from one source, a forum member perhaps, as you say something for everyone but 700 lots YAWN.
croker
croker

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot October 13th 2021, 9:27 pm

I suspect a good deal of the Wallwork came from the Reg Moon's Torquil gallery in Henley in Arden near Stratford Upon Avon. He held at least two very good mixed shows a year for a long time, and there was normally a good contingent of Alan Wallwork pieces there. Single owner might well explain the quite high Wallwork estimates. Normally Adam Partridge likes to put his estimates at an attractive starting point.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot October 13th 2021, 9:30 pm

I once sat through a whole Adam Patridge sale, as there were a number of scattered pieces we were interested in, but they were all over the place. I nearly had to use matchsticks to keep my eyes open!
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by croker October 13th 2021, 9:47 pm

Well i don't think i have fell asleep at auction but i have been bored and wandered off for refreshment then missed my lot owing to getting to conversation with someone. Partridge might like attractive estimates but at a £3000 reserve on the Ward pot he might be pushing his luck a bit ,I don't think it will but if it went for that amount he would have some explaining to do after encouraging the vendor to place a low reserve .
croker
croker

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. October 13th 2021, 10:56 pm

Those Wallwork pieces are underpriced - bet ya - watch them fly Shocked
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Male Number of posts : 4378
Registration date : 2009-12-19

http://www.briglin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot October 14th 2021, 9:57 am

Wallwork of course is a big seller on Ebay. It will be very interesting to see how hammer prices compare with what he goes for on Ebay. Bearing in mind of course Buyer's premium, internet premium, costs of delivery. All of which add a fair amount to the hammer price.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by croker October 14th 2021, 10:50 am

One piece that has caught my attention in the sale is the Nora Braden jug lot 443 ,this piece doesn't seem typical of her work as i am more used to seeing items similar to Bouverie ,it's a pity it has been restored but i guess that's why she kept it back in her studio, it appears that the bottom may have fallen out.
croker
croker

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot October 14th 2021, 11:53 am

£500-£700 is a lot of curiosity value for an ordinary looking piece. You have to be real Norah Braden collector for that. Which of course begs a point. How many old style collectors are there around now who collect the more abstruse Leach connected potters?
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM October 14th 2021, 2:37 pm

Are those 4 listed as Emmanuel Cooper correct (Lots 189-192)? Looks like they've misread the mark in the Book, which is actually this one (via Studio-Pots) -
https://servimg.com/view/16203203/664

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 25488
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot October 14th 2021, 4:39 pm

Interesting Naomi. I have a piece of Emmanuel Cooper's domestic pottery, which has exactly the same as the Yates Owen mark. That is a double half moon mark, but the ones that are in the Partridge show have a single one. Its also not quite as dappled as those.
On the other hand! The mark you provide the link to has a much sharper curve to it, on the inside bit looks more like a sharp C. So it might well be possible he used more marks than we actually know of!
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot October 14th 2021, 5:01 pm

I have posted a photo of my Emmanuel Cooper domestic piece with mark, on his thread.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM October 14th 2021, 6:30 pm

philpot wrote:I have posted a photo of my Emmanuel Cooper domestic  piece with mark, on his thread.

That's great Most Excellent

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM October 16th 2021, 11:11 pm

Confirmed that the 4 Lots are by Emmanuel Cooper

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot October 29th 2021, 7:28 pm

A fairly pedestrian sale had fairly dull prices. Somebody had some bargains, a lot of stuff did not sell or was right at the bottom of the estimate. The Wallwork's were various, the Big one sold for £2000. The Robin Welch went much within estimates. The Jenny Lee at £26,500 was the only real star.
Batterham prices on the up. A 37 cms vase £1700, cut sided jar £800.
But all in all, a lot of the stuff would have sold better on Ebay!
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by croker October 29th 2021, 8:16 pm

Hi Philpot, I don't think i can say i had a bargain today but i think the John Ward pot i bought was very reasonable , i was prepared to pay more .I got the feeling that the bidding today felt sluggish somehow, i was surprised that the restored Norah Braden fetched £1100, I feel Partridge always pads out his sales a little, many auctioneers wouldn't bother to sell items for £30 or £40 pounds. Maltby's sculptures still seem to be attracting plenty of interest in the sales.
croker
croker

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot October 29th 2021, 8:38 pm

£4200 hammer if I remember rightly? You must have quite a few by now! Maltby scuptures are selling well, but the older work that he was originally famed for seems to have gone off the boil quite a bit.
The Adam Patridge sales remind me of that old phrase 'Never mind the quality, feel the width!' There is now an awful lot of width in his sales but not a lot of quality!
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by croker October 29th 2021, 9:10 pm

i only have have 11  ward pieces and  i think  that will do for now but you never know i might get tempted. I am an admirer of Jennifer Lee's work and that pot today i thought was excellent  ,i think she is probably the best of all the rated hand builders . I think you are right about Maltby's earlier work although i prefer it .
croker
croker

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots October 30th 2021, 12:13 am

I have only just looked at the sale and it looks as if was padded out with lots of stuff straight from the potters themselves and they aren't going to send their best stuff, unless they are completely unknown. Not sure if that works in the auctioneers favour but there seemed to be money available for decent enough pieces.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 6836
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum