brin mcardle
Oldmagpie
dantheman
mid20c
Pip
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Lotus Pottery (Devon) Michael & Elizabeth Skipwith  - Page 2 Empty Re: Lotus Pottery (Devon) Michael & Elizabeth Skipwith

Post by Grumpy Grandad April 22nd 2020, 3:28 am

As usual, I bring something more mundane than the lovely pieces already shown, but it's still a bit of Lotus.

Lotus Pottery (Devon) Michael & Elizabeth Skipwith  - Page 2 20200276

Lotus Pottery (Devon) Michael & Elizabeth Skipwith  - Page 2 20200275
Grumpy Grandad
Grumpy Grandad

Number of posts : 867
Registration date : 2019-11-11

Back to top Go down

Lotus Pottery (Devon) Michael & Elizabeth Skipwith  - Page 2 Empty Re: Lotus Pottery (Devon) Michael & Elizabeth Skipwith

Post by philpot April 22nd 2020, 8:25 am

Given the amount of Lotus pottery still around (there are 89 pieces for sale on Ebay at this precise moment) its production must have been on a much greater scale than that just a husband and wife. Always well made, and excellent for the Devon tourist souvenir trade, of which was still big business in the late 50's and through to the early 70's.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6349
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot July 18th 2020, 6:12 pm

Lotus Pottery (Devon) Michael & Elizabeth Skipwith  - Page 2 Img_0111Lotus Pottery (Devon) Michael & Elizabeth Skipwith  - Page 2 Img_0112Lotus Pottery (Devon) Michael & Elizabeth Skipwith  - Page 2 Img_0113

We have had this Michael Skipworth Lots Pottery  vase for well over 20 years. Its an awkward looking fingy, but boy oh boy is it functional. The top is very unusual, hardly ever seen anything quite like it. But it makes at absolutely superb for displaying large bunches of flowers. They can splay much for widely than the normal vase, which makes an bunch, a gorgeous display,
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Lotus Pottery (Devon) Michael & Elizabeth Skipwith  - Page 2 Empty Earthenware jug, impressed PL or LP mark - Lotus Pottery

Post by abstract toad September 13th 2020, 9:55 am

Earthenware jug for ID please. Impressed PL mark. Many thanks 👍Lotus Pottery (Devon) Michael & Elizabeth Skipwith  - Page 2 Img_2101
Lotus Pottery (Devon) Michael & Elizabeth Skipwith  - Page 2 Img_2100
Lotus Pottery (Devon) Michael & Elizabeth Skipwith  - Page 2 Img_2102
abstract toad
abstract toad

Number of posts : 524
Registration date : 2018-06-01

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump September 13th 2020, 9:59 am

denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Number of posts : 7189
Registration date : 2014-06-01

http://www.magicfabric.magix.net/public/

Back to top Go down

Post by abstract toad September 13th 2020, 10:04 am

Thanks Denby 👍. I thought it familiar and now you mention it I recall a large old green floral ashtray my late mother had with the Lotus mark, though I believe that had a couple of dots in the mark. I'll have a look at your link, thanks again.
abstract toad
abstract toad

Back to top Go down

Post by abstract toad September 13th 2020, 10:12 am

Yes, I think your right. I am surprised, whilst I recognised the mark I would never have connected this with the piece that she owned. I believe the dots on this are too feint to be seen, the stamp was lightly applied.
abstract toad
abstract toad

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot September 13th 2020, 12:44 pm

Stoke Gabriel near Totnes. They actually did quite a wide range of pottery apart from the ubiquitous Green stuff. Bang in the middle of a tourist area when people still holidayed in this country exstensively. You produced what sold to the tourists, and tried a good deal of things.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by abstract toad September 13th 2020, 1:15 pm

I had to Google ubiquitous lol. She bought it back in the day when it was being churned out. We had many a holiday in Devon and Cornwall, I couldn't have cared less about studio pottery back then, funny how I've changed.
abstract toad
abstract toad

Back to top Go down

Lotus Pottery (Devon) Michael & Elizabeth Skipwith  - Page 2 Empty Anyone know this potter?

Post by Windy2005 October 24th 2020, 12:21 pm

Has anyone any idea who made this lovely bowl?
Initials look like LP but I have never seen it before.
Thanks :)Lotus Pottery (Devon) Michael & Elizabeth Skipwith  - Page 2 20201014
Lotus Pottery (Devon) Michael & Elizabeth Skipwith  - Page 2 20201015
Windy2005
Windy2005

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2020-09-20

Back to top Go down

Lotus Pottery (Devon) Michael & Elizabeth Skipwith  - Page 2 Empty ANYONE KNOW THIS POTTER? - Lotus Pottery, Devon

Post by dantheman October 24th 2020, 12:23 pm

Lotus

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15414
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Lotus Pottery (Devon) Michael & Elizabeth Skipwith  - Page 2 Empty Stoneware tripod cauldron, Lotus Pottery, Skipworth

Post by benwilliams February 28th 2021, 4:54 pm

I know I asked for help identifying this a while back.
I just had another look and realised it was Lotus Pottery, Stoke Gabriel - Elizabeth & Michael Skipworth.
I sometimes see unusual things by them locally.
I couldn’t join it onto the thread as I can’t access my posts before Jan 2019 for some reason.
( or maybe it’s already been identified and moved and my memory has got way worse!)
Lotus Pottery (Devon) Michael & Elizabeth Skipwith  - Page 2 B8435410
Lotus Pottery (Devon) Michael & Elizabeth Skipwith  - Page 2 6a3ade10
Lotus Pottery (Devon) Michael & Elizabeth Skipwith  - Page 2 325cf610

benwilliams
benwilliams

Number of posts : 2281
Registration date : 2017-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM February 28th 2021, 5:49 pm

Nice piece.
The original seems to have disappeared. I'll merge it with the main thread

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31292
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM August 18th 2023, 2:49 pm

I've moved these photos out of the Brian Paul Bearne thread because it might not be his stamp associated with the Lotus Pottery one even though it looks like it on first appearances. Also the decoration is typical of Lotus Pottery

Lotus Pottery (Devon) Michael & Elizabeth Skipwith  - Page 2 Studio10

Lotus Pottery (Devon) Michael & Elizabeth Skipwith  - Page 2 Studio11

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31292
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum