IS THE GOLDEN AGE OF BRITISH STUDIO POTTERY OVER?

5 posters

Go down

IS THE GOLDEN AGE OF BRITISH STUDIO POTTERY OVER? Empty IS THE GOLDEN AGE OF BRITISH STUDIO POTTERY OVER?

Post by philpot September 8th 2021, 9:55 am

It somehow seems the end of an Age in the past year or two. There has been such a sad roll call recently of Alan Wallwork, John Maltby, Phil Rogers, Alan Caiger Smith and sadly the recent decease of Richard Batterham perhaps the greatest of them all. It seems as though an Era has ended.
Although how do you define that era? 1965-2010? Or was there just one era? Was it a generational thing? Whatever it may be, a lot of Great Artist Potters are no longer with us.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 4368
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

IS THE GOLDEN AGE OF BRITISH STUDIO POTTERY OVER? Empty Re: IS THE GOLDEN AGE OF BRITISH STUDIO POTTERY OVER?

Post by 22 Crawford St. September 8th 2021, 11:31 am

It's very sad but most potters don't make the A-list until they reach 50 or 60+ ? Then we look back at their full gamut of work and give them a nod. Very few make it to the A-List most fall by the wayside. So you won't know is the current lot at considered contemporary Cardews until another thirty Summers have rained away a million picnics. Did it all start with Bernard's return to England in 1920? Did that era end with Batterham a 100 years later? Will 3d scanning and printing mean that anyone can have an exact copy of any item they want in the future? yes
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Male Number of posts : 4192
Registration date : 2009-12-19

http://www.briglin.com

Back to top Go down

IS THE GOLDEN AGE OF BRITISH STUDIO POTTERY OVER? Empty Re: IS THE GOLDEN AGE OF BRITISH STUDIO POTTERY OVER?

Post by NaomiM September 8th 2021, 11:51 am

Still plenty of A list potters, imo - Swindell, Curtis, Bayer, Bowen, Malone, Hammond, Collins, Plumptre… - and those who will replace the A listers when they reach their 70s-80s: Hake, Collier, Laverick…

Last edited by NaomiM on September 8th 2021, 12:39 pm; edited 3 times in total

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 24972
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by abstract*toad September 8th 2021, 11:57 am

And the wheel keeps on turning...
abstract*toad
abstract*toad

Number of posts : 386
Registration date : 2021-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM September 8th 2021, 12:30 pm

Batterham is one of the few greats that I dont have an example of; never even handled one.  I occasionally get US collector friends asking me to verify his pots on eBay before they bid, but I can’t

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 24972
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by croker September 13th 2021, 2:57 pm

we have discussed this topic before but i think it's worth revisiting, i think we can  draw a parallel with the golden age of British modern art c1940 to c1975 we were world leaders even Americans such as Rothko came to visit  the St Ives artists. The movement started slowly and gained momentum in the 50's and was on high until the mid 60s then with leading artists such as Lanyon dying and others with their best work behind them the movement slowly fizzled out , a few stragglers lingered on and new faces tried to resurrect the glory days  but it was never the same. I think the 'golden age' of studio pottery is heading in the same direction, master production potters such as Batterman will not come again after the present crop have gone ,production pottery will still be made of course but with less panache, the same applies to the 'artist' potters, while potters such as Jennifer Lee, Fritsch,  etc are still going but i think it will be unlikely that any new faces will hit the big time in the future .
croker
croker

Number of posts : 182
Registration date : 2021-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum