pottery at woolley and wallis

3 posters

Go down

pottery at woolley and wallis Empty pottery at woolley and wallis

Post by croker August 27th 2021, 2:36 pm

A few interesting results a Wooly's recently, the Hans Coper piece with a reserve of £8000 fetched £44,000 and a Royal Doulton figure of Pavlova with a reserve of £150 fetched an amazing £6500 but very surprisingly a John Maltby chess set unsigned but with provenance struggled and sold for only £550 (which seems an absolute bargain) whereas one of his ship wall ornaments made a £1000.
croker
croker

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2021-01-20

Back to top Go down

pottery at woolley and wallis Empty Re: pottery at woolley and wallis

Post by philpot August 27th 2021, 7:31 pm

August always has been a bad month for Auction sales. I think that the Wooley and Wallis sale reflected that. Fairly pedestrian prices. The David Burnham Smith cats did well, one at £3500. £3000 for an Alan Caiger Smith large bowl, £1100 for a Svend Bayer Jar. and the few bits and pieces that you mention.
It seems that the wind has gone out of John Maltby prices There were a fair number John Maltby pieces there, and generally I thought the prices were slightly lower than expected. I am not surprised at the Maltby chess set though. It was fairly ordinary, and his figurative work from the 70's seems to have fewer buyers than his later figurative work.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 4545
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by croker September 30th 2021, 12:27 pm

Wooly's autumn sale is now online with approx 60 pieces of studio pottery a third of which are Batterham pots, the star of the show is a stunning pot by James tower ,there are 5 pieces of John Ward but i think only two of them will probably be of interest to collectors. I don't think overall the quality of lots is as good as in some of their past auctions .
croker
croker

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. September 30th 2021, 2:09 pm

Croker - do you go to a lot of the C20h ceramics auctions and do you see a lot of the same faces? Interested to know how much goes to online bidding of if it's still in person. Is it dealers buying to resell or is it mostly collectors (who don't have to sell an can outbid dealers)
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Male Number of posts : 4378
Registration date : 2009-12-19

http://www.briglin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by croker September 30th 2021, 4:22 pm

hi 22 Crawford St, Until covid hit  we attended a fair number of auctions (not all ceramics) and yes we do see a lot of the same faces , many we know well. Nearly all lots in sales of higher end studio ceramics sell online or on the phone and in the case of Maak all on line . I think nearly all lots sold at auctions are direct to collectors ,there are very few dealers in the studio pottery field and the few that are know when to drop out of the bidding ( it's other collectors you have to worry about!).

Last edited by croker on September 30th 2021, 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
croker
croker

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. September 30th 2021, 4:42 pm

Interesting TY.
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Male Number of posts : 4378