TERRACOTTA SGRAFFITO CHARGER, M. Rose - Muriel Rose?

3 posters

Go down

TERRACOTTA SGRAFFITO CHARGER, M. Rose - Muriel Rose?  Empty TERRACOTTA SGRAFFITO CHARGER, M. Rose - Muriel Rose?

Post by CharlieC August 19th 2021, 5:15 pm

I have this large red clay dish which has been sgraffito decorated with flowers and leaves. Any clues as to where this might have come from? There is some age (crazing) to this... Possibly Portuguese? Signed M. Rosa or Rose?? Dia: 14". Thanks

TERRACOTTA SGRAFFITO CHARGER, M. Rose - Muriel Rose?  Img_3914
TERRACOTTA SGRAFFITO CHARGER, M. Rose - Muriel Rose?  Img_3913
TERRACOTTA SGRAFFITO CHARGER, M. Rose - Muriel Rose?  Img_3915
CharlieC
CharlieC

Number of posts : 473
Registration date : 2016-05-04

Back to top Go down

TERRACOTTA SGRAFFITO CHARGER, M. Rose - Muriel Rose?  Empty Re: TERRACOTTA SGRAFFITO CHARGER, M. Rose - Muriel Rose?

Post by NaomiM August 19th 2021, 5:57 pm

There was a Muriel Rose potting in London in the 60s, and someone who signed her pieces M. Rose who may or may not be the same person. I think Muriel Rose ran a gallery and potted on the side.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31292
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

TERRACOTTA SGRAFFITO CHARGER, M. Rose - Muriel Rose?  Empty Re: TERRACOTTA SGRAFFITO CHARGER, M. Rose - Muriel Rose?

Post by CharlieC August 19th 2021, 6:09 pm

Thanks Naomi, I'll check her out.
CharlieC
CharlieC

Back to top Go down

Post by CharlieC August 19th 2021, 6:36 pm

Looking at this plate... It could easily be 1920s or 1950s in date. Has a whiff of the Arts and Crafts about it, the colours are nicely tonal and unusual. It would be nice if it was by Muriel Rose. Not much about her pottery, but maybe she didn't produce much? Not a lot about her on the internet... Any ideas to explore?
CharlieC
CharlieC

Back to top Go down

Post by benwilliams August 20th 2021, 4:45 am

My first thought on looking was Mexico, and the name may fit. There are Rosa and de la Rosa potters. But I may be well out.
benwilliams
benwilliams

Number of posts : 2281
Registration date : 2017-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM August 20th 2021, 10:14 am

This is by the ‘M.Rose’ that may or may not be Muriel Rose. The handwriting is different so I think it’s less likely to be the same as yours

TERRACOTTA SGRAFFITO CHARGER, M. Rose - Muriel Rose?  431a5910
TERRACOTTA SGRAFFITO CHARGER, M. Rose - Muriel Rose?  D137e910

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31292
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by CharlieC August 20th 2021, 11:18 am

Yes, I agree. Don't think it's Muriel. My first thought was Portuguese and Mexican has been suggested. Although the Mexicans tended to paint directly onto the clay (I think? Without sgraffito) But there is the high gloss overglaze on terracotta... There is crazing, so would assume some age... Got a 'folk art' feel. But who is M. Rose or M. Rosa (Maria Rosa?) sounds Spanish??
CharlieC
CharlieC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum