Jug, Crocodile or Bamboo style handle, Volcano, JMD, MJD, MK or KW mark

3 posters

Go down

Jug, Crocodile or Bamboo style handle, Volcano, JMD, MJD, MK or KW mark  Empty Jug, Crocodile or Bamboo style handle, Volcano, JMD, MJD, MK or KW mark

Post by Bassey5 June 24th 2021, 11:19 am

Bought this small jug, about 6 inches high in Devon which might give a locality clue. Distinctive features are its dark blue and caramel brown very high gloss glaze and most obviously the spout. The handle is formed to resemble crocodile skin or bamboo maybe (?). I was told it was part of a tea set - the tea pot was sold -  and that was even more  "crocodile" in style apparently, and water-canteen shaped.
High design isn't my usual "thing" but was struck by the conical oil-can shape of this, and the design is probably the best clue to the maker.

There is a clear mark on the base. Looks like letters - an M, or a K, or a W... within a quarter circle to me. The mark has no obvious "right way up".

Jug, Crocodile or Bamboo style handle, Volcano, JMD, MJD, MK or KW mark  Wp_20212
Jug, Crocodile or Bamboo style handle, Volcano, JMD, MJD, MK or KW mark  Wp_20213

Last edited by NaomiM on November 2nd 2023, 1:22 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : More detail)
Bassey5
Bassey5

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2021-06-24

Back to top Go down

Jug, Crocodile or Bamboo style handle, Volcano, JMD, MJD, MK or KW mark  Empty Re: Jug, Crocodile or Bamboo style handle, Volcano, JMD, MJD, MK or KW mark

Post by denbydump June 24th 2021, 2:48 pm

JMD or MJD ?
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Number of posts : 7205
Registration date : 2014-06-01

http://www.magicfabric.magix.net/public/

Back to top Go down

Jug, Crocodile or Bamboo style handle, Volcano, JMD, MJD, MK or KW mark  Empty Re: Jug, Crocodile or Bamboo style handle, Volcano, JMD, MJD, MK or KW mark

Post by Bassey5 June 24th 2021, 3:11 pm

Thanks . I thought maybe K and M. Or W ! There's no obvious right way up, sadly. In an ideal world potters would mark at the base of the handle, but they are a wonderfully contrary bunch.
Bassey5
Bassey5

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM June 24th 2021, 4:01 pm

MK mark?

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31419
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Bassey5 June 24th 2021, 7:55 pm

I'd go with M or K, yes. Or W and K. I don't "see" a J or D there to be honest. Sometimes I wonder if it is two T's on a rocker, or just a cypher. It's quite infuriating!
Bassey5
Bassey5

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM June 24th 2021, 7:58 pm

I wonder if it's a monogram that doubles as a visual image like a mountain or volcano

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Bassey5 June 24th 2021, 8:03 pm

Now that IS a thought. Volcano.
Bassey5
Bassey5

Back to top Go down

Post by Bassey5 June 25th 2021, 10:26 am

I've had an internet sweep (!) I thought A pottery in Tenerife or somewhere else volcanic maybe. I am beginning to think it's what's often called a graduate piece. The design isn't fully " there" yet ( you know what I mean ) and it seems whoever made it it has taken a long hard look at what comes out of Kilkenny in terms of glaze, and Walter Keeler in design. There are a few "clumsy" bits. Slight residue on the spout, handle slightly separating from the body. Anyhow, what do I know...(!).................... Anyway, I like it, and would love to know what the maker went on to do. The worst thing about it is I feel I know I have seen this before - somewhere .

Last edited by Bassey5 on June 25th 2021, 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling error)
Bassey5
Bassey5

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM June 25th 2021, 11:44 am

Sometimes it can take a while, but at least it’s not a mark we’re going to forget any time soon; it’ll get IDed eventually

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Bassey5 June 25th 2021, 2:01 pm

I'm sure you are right. Eventually is the keyword. It is infuriating though ( and there is a certain pleasure in finding that other posters/seekers are in a similar state ) but the worst thing is I know that somewhere in my sluggish brain cells I know this, I have seen this before. Happy days.
Bassey5
Bassey5

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum