Stoneware (sgraffito?) Cat and Mouse Vase, BB mark

2 posters

Go down

Stoneware (sgraffito?) Cat and Mouse Vase, BB mark Empty Stoneware (sgraffito?) Cat and Mouse Vase, BB mark

Post by Maryajoyce1976 May 26th 2021, 1:42 pm

I found this vase in Memphis, TN, but I am having a hard time with the ID.  I am wondering if anybody here recognizes the marks or the style.

It is 6 inches tall, 3 inches wide across the bottom, and weighs 13 ounces.  It looks like a bud vase to me based on the size of the vessel and the opening at the top.  The bottom has "88" stamped inside a square on one side, with two other characters stamped inside a square on the opposite side.  They were harder to make out, so I dusted with flour, then cinnamon, in an attempt to see them better.  I think they could be "Oh", "Ah", "On", "An", or quite honestly I could be looking at them upside down, who knows.  The vase is a neutral stoneware with two cats, a mouse, and a vase in red.  It seems like it could be sgraffito based on the details of the designs, but I am not 100% positive.  There is an odd spot in the center of the bottom that is glazed, whereas the rest of the bottom is not.

I have used Google Lens, the marks project, Googled various descriptions of the vase and the marks, tried a few Facebook pottery groups, all to no avail.  Any help would be appreciated.  I will add more photos in the comments (if I can).

Thanks!

Stoneware (sgraffito?) Cat and Mouse Vase, BB mark Img_8918
Stoneware (sgraffito?) Cat and Mouse Vase, BB mark Img_8917
Stoneware (sgraffito?) Cat and Mouse Vase, BB mark Img_8919
Maryajoyce1976
Maryajoyce1976

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2021-05-26

Back to top Go down

Stoneware (sgraffito?) Cat and Mouse Vase, BB mark Empty Re: Stoneware (sgraffito?) Cat and Mouse Vase, BB mark

Post by Maryajoyce1976 May 26th 2021, 1:43 pm

Stoneware (sgraffito?) Cat and Mouse Vase, BB mark Img_8920
Stoneware (sgraffito?) Cat and Mouse Vase, BB mark Img_8922
Stoneware (sgraffito?) Cat and Mouse Vase, BB mark Img_8921
Maryajoyce1976
Maryajoyce1976

Back to top Go down

Stoneware (sgraffito?) Cat and Mouse Vase, BB mark Empty Re: Stoneware (sgraffito?) Cat and Mouse Vase, BB mark

Post by Maryajoyce1976 May 26th 2021, 1:45 pm

Stoneware (sgraffito?) Cat and Mouse Vase, BB mark Img_8925
Stoneware (sgraffito?) Cat and Mouse Vase, BB mark Img_8924
Stoneware (sgraffito?) Cat and Mouse Vase, BB mark Img_8923
Maryajoyce1976
Maryajoyce1976

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots May 26th 2021, 2:29 pm

Welcome Mary and I hope that putting the images here might lead to an ID. Most of our members are based in the UK and so North American pottery is not our forte. However, by me saying that I am suggesting that it is likely to be made in the States and, as there seems to be a history of studio pottery in Tennessee I would suggest you to see if there are any local studio pottery associations that you could show images to, as they might be your best bet.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7817
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Maryajoyce1976 May 26th 2021, 3:58 pm

I was thinking about contacting my old ceramics professor at the U of Memphis to see if he has any ideas. It does seem heavier like American pottery, but so far the groups I am in here are just as clueless as I am. lol
Maryajoyce1976
Maryajoyce1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum