TEA CUP AND SAUCER - Kanji mark - modern Kutani, Japan

Go down

TEA CUP AND SAUCER - Kanji mark - modern Kutani, Japan  Empty TEA CUP AND SAUCER - Kanji mark - modern Kutani, Japan

Post by TangerNe11 April 18th 2021, 5:47 am

This is a lovely little set.  Both are marked identically to base with a possible BR 13?
TEA CUP AND SAUCER - Kanji mark - modern Kutani, Japan  Tea_cu11
TangerNe11
TangerNe11

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2021-04-09

Back to top Go down

TEA CUP AND SAUCER - Kanji mark - modern Kutani, Japan  Empty Re: TEA CUP AND SAUCER - Kanji mark - modern Kutani, Japan

Post by philpot April 18th 2021, 8:22 am

The decoration looks like that of the Ken Edwards pottery of Tenola, Mexico. Founded in the 1960's there is a fair amount of it around.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 4013
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

TEA CUP AND SAUCER - Kanji mark - modern Kutani, Japan  Empty Re: TEA CUP AND SAUCER - Kanji mark - modern Kutani, Japan

Post by NaomiM April 18th 2021, 8:29 am

It’s signed with kanji characters. Japanese, imo, although I’m afraid I can’t translate them. You might find the mark on the Gotheborg website of 20thC Japanese and Chinese Marks

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 24025
Registration date : 2012-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Grumpy Grandad April 18th 2021, 1:43 pm

I can't see this being Ken Edwards. I've had a few of his pieces and the decoration is much simpler, usually just either a bird or butterfly, and always signed 'KE Mexico'. That doesn't rule out the possibility of it being by another potter working at the Tenola Pottery but the bamboo decoration certainly points to Japan.
Grumpy Grandad
Grumpy Grandad

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2019-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post by janetpjohn April 18th 2021, 4:13 pm

It just says Kutani.
janetpjohn
janetpjohn

Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2015-03-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum