Large tenmoku bowl with cat or mouse or spiral or J mark - Peter Downey

4 posters

Go down

Large tenmoku bowl with cat or mouse or spiral or J mark - Peter Downey Empty Large tenmoku bowl with cat or mouse or spiral or J mark - Peter Downey

Post by Silver Pete March 18th 2021, 10:40 am

Greetings all, I have joined this post as I have a large studio pottery bowl which I am unable to find a maker for. I have had the bowl for a few years now and have been on the lookout for the mark but drawn a blank. It is very well potted and rings like a bell when tapped. As a bit of a technophobe I don't seem to be able to add pics.....Help?Large tenmoku bowl with cat or mouse or spiral or J mark - Peter Downey P1120710
Large tenmoku bowl with cat or mouse or spiral or J mark - Peter Downey P1120711
Large tenmoku bowl with cat or mouse or spiral or J mark - Peter Downey P1120712

Last edited by Silver Pete on March 18th 2021, 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Silver Pete
Silver Pete

Male Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2021-03-18

Back to top Go down

Large tenmoku bowl with cat or mouse or spiral or J mark - Peter Downey Empty Re: Large tenmoku bowl with cat or mouse or spiral or J mark - Peter Downey

Post by Silver Pete March 18th 2021, 2:30 pm

More bowl pics.Large tenmoku bowl with cat or mouse or spiral or J mark - Peter Downey P1120713
Large tenmoku bowl with cat or mouse or spiral or J mark - Peter Downey P1120714
Silver Pete
Silver Pete

Back to top Go down

Large tenmoku bowl with cat or mouse or spiral or J mark - Peter Downey Empty Re: Large tenmoku bowl with cat or mouse or spiral or J mark - Peter Downey

Post by NaomiM March 18th 2021, 9:33 pm

Interesting mark. Looks like a J and at the same time like a cat.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31292
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Pete April 15th 2021, 3:12 pm

I was looking something up in the Studio Potters' Marks book and look what I spotted on the back of the dust jacket!!Large tenmoku bowl with cat or mouse or spiral or J mark - Peter Downey P1120735
Large tenmoku bowl with cat or mouse or spiral or J mark - Peter Downey P1120736
The curly mark on the back looks very similar to the one on my bowl....anyone know whose mark it is??
Silver Pete
Silver Pete

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM April 15th 2021, 3:58 pm

Sorry but it's not the same mark. Yours is a cat or mouse.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Pete April 15th 2021, 5:06 pm

I'm just getting desperate I suppose. It is such a well made piece that I can't accept it has no brothers and sisters out there! Oh well, I have been looking for about 6 or 7 years now; the wait goes on. Sad
Silver Pete
Silver Pete

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM April 15th 2021, 7:06 pm

I've edited the title so I can find it again if & when another one turns up

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump April 15th 2021, 8:08 pm

the mark, if you look closely, is a cord/rope coiled closely round an object.
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Number of posts : 7189
Registration date : 2014-06-01

http://www.magicfabric.magix.net/public/

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot April 15th 2021, 9:15 pm

Whoever made it, it is a really nice quality piece. Which probably makes it even more galling when you cannot find how who the maker was. When it as nice as this, the potter SHOULD be better known!
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6349
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Pete April 15th 2021, 9:19 pm

Thanks for looking/editing. It is one of my favourite studio pieces and comes out now and again to drive me mad searching! It will get put away for another year and then be rediscovered to be researched again. I love this site, it's going to come in very handy! regards.
Silver Pete
Silver Pete

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM April 23rd 2021, 10:13 pm

Found it; Peter Downey

Large tenmoku bowl with cat or mouse or spiral or J mark - Peter Downey 83199d10

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Pete April 24th 2021, 5:59 am

You are an absolute star!! I have been looking for that mark for years! What book is it in? I have got Godden's, and British studio potters marks (2nd edition), and it isn't in them. Perhaps it's a bit too recent?  Well done !, I knew someone would get it eventually with the amount of visits it had. Made my day!! Laughter
Silver Pete
Silver Pete

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM April 24th 2021, 4:04 pm

It's in the 3rd edition of Yates Owen etc

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum