Blue and white plates with gold gilt and floral painting

Go down

Blue and white plates with gold gilt and floral painting   Empty Blue and white plates with gold gilt and floral painting

Post by jonnyoldschool March 10th 2021, 8:11 am

I have a set of these (6 plates and 3 cake stands). They all have the same number painted in gold on the bottom - 3649 - and are stamped with an oval containing the letters V, O, F and I (shown in the picture)

Blue and white plates with gold gilt and floral painting   Img_2010

Blue and white plates with gold gilt and floral painting   Img_2011
jonnyoldschool
jonnyoldschool

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2021-03-10

Back to top Go down

Blue and white plates with gold gilt and floral painting   Empty Re: Blue and white plates with gold gilt and floral painting

Post by denbydump March 10th 2021, 9:52 am

The number is the decoration/pattern code.
I can't find a reference for VOFI, so it may be a retailer's mark.
They look late 19th/ early 20thC.
That blue is often associated with Minton, but I'm sure other people used it.
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Number of posts : 5593
Registration date : 2014-06-01

http://www.magicfabric.magix.net/public/

Back to top Go down

Blue and white plates with gold gilt and floral painting   Empty Re: Blue and white plates with gold gilt and floral painting

Post by Grumpy Grandad March 10th 2021, 1:04 pm

A long shot, but could they be part of a service comissioned by 'V OF I'? Made for the residence of the Viceroy of India or for the posh salon on board the old P&O ocean liner, RMS Viceroy of India?

Is it the same flower on each piece or does the decoration vary?
Grumpy Grandad
Grumpy Grandad

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2019-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post by jonnyoldschool March 10th 2021, 2:05 pm

Grumpy Grandad wrote:A long shot, but could they be part of a service comissioned by 'V OF I'?

I have no idea about the history of these to be honest so really hard to confirm the theory but I'll do some digging around that. Thanks!

Grumpy Grandad wrote:Is it the same flower on each piece or does the decoration vary?

It's a different flower on each one, would you like me to upload the whole set?
jonnyoldschool
jonnyoldschool

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2021-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Grumpy Grandad March 11th 2021, 3:08 am

A 'family' group photo would be nice, and it would be a permanent record of what looks to be a nice set. The shape of the cake stands might also provide clues to a possible maker.
As well as denbydump's suggestion of Minton, Coalport also used that shade of blue - a google image search for Coalport sky blue will bring up some for comparison.
Grumpy Grandad
Grumpy Grandad

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2019-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum