NH mark, Nancy Homer, St Agnes Pottery (Not Nic Harrison)

+3
carolalev
NaomiM
hadfield
7 posters

Go down

NH mark, Nancy Homer, St Agnes Pottery (Not Nic Harrison) Empty NH mark, Nancy Homer, St Agnes Pottery (Not Nic Harrison)

Post by hadfield January 22nd 2021, 10:41 am

Posted this bowl on ebay as nic harrisons as the mark to me looked very much in his style . Inherited a lot of studio pottery 90% of which i struggle to identify.

If anyone recognises this please let me know.NH mark, Nancy Homer, St Agnes Pottery (Not Nic Harrison) Nic_ha10
NH mark, Nancy Homer, St Agnes Pottery (Not Nic Harrison) Nic_ha11
hadfield
hadfield

Male Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2020-06-19

Back to top Go down

NH mark, Nancy Homer, St Agnes Pottery (Not Nic Harrison) Empty Re: NH mark, Nancy Homer, St Agnes Pottery (Not Nic Harrison)

Post by hadfield January 25th 2021, 3:11 pm

Do you think it is nic harrisons or another potter, whoever did it its good quality
hadfield
hadfield

Back to top Go down

NH mark, Nancy Homer, St Agnes Pottery (Not Nic Harrison) Empty Re: NH mark, Nancy Homer, St Agnes Pottery (Not Nic Harrison)

Post by NaomiM January 25th 2021, 3:26 pm

It doesnt match any of the marks I have for Nic Harrison. The closest NH in the Marks book is A&N Homer, St Agnes pottery, but they were earthenware and this is stoneware

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31419
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by hadfield January 25th 2021, 3:38 pm

Your knowledge is amazing thank for your comments
hadfield
hadfield

Back to top Go down

Post by carolalev January 25th 2021, 3:49 pm

Could it be NA rather than H? The tops curl inwards...
carolalev
carolalev

Number of posts : 284
Registration date : 2019-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump January 25th 2021, 4:06 pm

N f J even
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Number of posts : 7205
Registration date : 2014-06-01

http://www.magicfabric.magix.net/public/

Back to top Go down

Post by hadfield January 28th 2021, 9:59 am

Thanks for your ideas i have tried to find the potter in all those letter modes ..no joy yet
hadfield
hadfield

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots January 28th 2021, 11:13 am

Although I can't see the foot, the bowl looks to be 1960s/70s and so if the mark isn't recorded, which it appears it isn't, then it is very likely to take a long time finding out who made it, if at all.

It is really going to rely on someone that has a pot with the same mark knowing for certain who it is by.

I suppose all that you do know is that it is a pleasant bowl but not by anyone famous.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7817
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM January 31st 2021, 6:46 pm

Similar to N Homer’s mark in the book

NH mark, Nancy Homer, St Agnes Pottery (Not Nic Harrison) 6f6e3610

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by hadfield February 2nd 2021, 6:22 pm

Hi Naomi
Great detective work. Seems the Homer family were of note back in the 1950s. Nancy L Homer (wife, i think, of Arthur Homer) was also a potter at St Agnes pottery plus a good watercolour artist with her work in the St Agnes museum. Point is her monogram on her paintings was exactly the same as the one on my bowl but with a "L" in the middle. A family style i presume. Finding difficult to find much history on Arthur Homer but he and Nancy ran the pottery 1953 to 1957. Obviously a potter but cannot find any work of his to compare with.
hadfield
hadfield

Back to top Go down

Post by hadfield February 5th 2021, 8:14 pm

How dim am i its obvious the bowl is by Nancy Homer. I was confused by the mark she put on her paintings which had an extra letter representing her middle name i assume.
hadfield
hadfield

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM February 5th 2021, 8:22 pm

A couple of problems. Yours is stoneware, not earthenware. And your mark is a round stamp, but the example in the book is a square one. But it does look like the right era.

Last edited by NaomiM on May 24th 2021, 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by hadfield February 5th 2021, 8:26 pm

Your book reference Naomi and the painting i saw are very similar to the bowls mark. I am sure its correct. Been an interesting search and thanks for your help.
hadfield
hadfield

Back to top Go down

Post by cam176 March 25th 2022, 6:14 pm

This is indeed Nancy Homer

We have a few of her pieces (and watercolours) at St Agnes Museum and also the boxwood initial stamp she used to impress on her pieces.
She ran Wayside Pottery in St Agnes with Arthur, whose stamp was the more decorative A.
Some pieces have both marks.
The L on her paintings is for Lanyon which was her middle name.

Clare
cam176
cam176

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2021-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM March 25th 2022, 9:20 pm

Great information, thank you Most Excellent

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by driftwood12 April 28th 2022, 7:19 am

I an Nancy Homers son and can confirm without any doubt that this mark is hers , she used this mark after 1957 and prior to then used an A with an S horizontally crossing the A to signify St Agnes pottery which she ran until 1957 with a showroom upstairs in the house opposite the pottery called Wayside cottage.
driftwood12
driftwood12

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2022-04-27

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM April 28th 2022, 12:07 pm

Most Excellent  That’s great, thank you 

Do you know if this is also one of her mark? 

https://www.20thcenturyforum.com/t28483-wayside-pottery-st-agnes-cornwall-bulkley-sisters-1920s-30s

Last edited by NaomiM on April 28th 2022, 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by driftwood12 April 28th 2022, 12:51 pm

I have several with this mark and have no proof that it was used by her. I can see no reason why she would use the marking with a D and the glaze colours used on the pieces I have are not like any of her other works I have or have seen but then she did experiment a lot in her early days. Also I do not ever recall seeing a stamp with these markings in her pottery but this was over 50 years ago.
My best guess is this may have been used by her predecessor Miss Bulkley but it is only a hunch that I cannot back up.
Sorry I cannot be more helpful and would also like to know the origin.
driftwood12
driftwood12

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2022-04-27

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM April 28th 2022, 1:05 pm

That's very useful. Excellent
I've swapped the photos for a link to the thread we have on the subject, which makes it far more likely the jug is by one of the Bulkley sisters

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum