Chris Carter (not Bill Connor) - Cc mark

Go down

Chris Carter (not Bill Connor) - Cc mark Empty Chris Carter (not Bill Connor) - Cc mark

Post by CityPotter on January 7th 2021, 7:39 pm

I've been told this could be a Bill Connor but the mark is incised whilst his are usually impressed and a much more refined CC - there’s zero info on him or his work online. Somebody mentioned it may be an early Chris Carter and the form and tenmoku glaze definitely seem more like his style, but I can't find any other representations of this mark, for any potter, anywhere! I've read that Chris Carter has used 3 marks over the years but can only find 2 of them, can anybody confirm one way or the other if it's his work? Chris Carter (not Bill Connor) - Cc mark Cc210
Chris Carter (not Bill Connor) - Cc mark Cc110
CityPotter
CityPotter

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2020-12-11

Back to top Go down

Chris Carter (not Bill Connor) - Cc mark Empty Re: Chris Carter (not Bill Connor) - Cc mark

Post by NaomiM on January 7th 2021, 7:57 pm

I’ve moved this to the ID My Pottery section until it’s been identified.
I dont think it’s Chris Carter, but also it’s not quite the same as Bill Connor’s mark. Closest to Bill Connor but it assumes he changed his mark because it’s pretty consistent  

Chris Carter thread -

https://www.20thcenturyforum.com/t13772-chris-carter

Bill Connor’s mark

https://pin.it/5OI8Gdo
https://pin.it/2uoQzJ8

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 23130
Registration date : 2012-05-15

Back to top Go down

Chris Carter (not Bill Connor) - Cc mark Empty Re: Chris Carter (not Bill Connor) - Cc mark

Post by philpot on January 7th 2021, 8:07 pm

The standard Yates-Owen illustrates Four Chris Carter marks. None really like this one. The 2 CC marks illustrated are much more rounded than this one. Much nearer a Typed C.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 3616
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by CityPotter on January 7th 2021, 8:12 pm

A bit more digging in a popular Facebook group suggests this is a very early Chris Carter mark when he worked at Drayton Manor. His website representatives appear to confirm it by email. Cant help but be skeptical though!
CityPotter
CityPotter

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM on January 7th 2021, 8:18 pm

Drayton Manor mark looks different but he might have changed it. Has Chris Carter himself confirmed it? (Apologies if he’s passed away)

Chris Carter (not Bill Connor) - Cc mark 26db5b10

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by CityPotter on January 7th 2021, 8:19 pm

I'm trying to find an email address for him!
CityPotter
CityPotter

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM on January 8th 2021, 3:32 am

There are vases by Chris Carter that have a similar decoration to ones with this mystery mark, so more likely to be by him than by Bill Connor

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot on January 8th 2021, 9:00 am

One does wonder what potters reactions are when they asked to identify their work from near 50 years ago. Laughter
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by CityPotter on January 8th 2021, 10:39 am

philpot wrote:One does wonder what potters reactions are when they asked to identify their work from near 50 years ago. Laughter

Hopefully we will soon find out Laughter
CityPotter
CityPotter

Back to top Go down

Post by CityPotter on January 8th 2021, 10:55 am

OK, So it turns out Chris Carter is an absolute diamond of a man. We can put this to bed, he has emailed me:

Hi Gavin,
Thanks for the enquiry. I am still potting thanks, and that's been good in these difficult times. Hope that you are okay too.
That tenmoku pot with a trailed matt-white glaze on top is indeed one of mine, from as you suggest, my days at Drayton Manor Park. Probably around the early eighties. The impressed mark is just one of a variety of simple CC stamps I made and used during that period up to 1986.

At that time I had about 7 tenmoku glazes, all my own recipes and fired to around 1260°C. The stoneware bodies I made varied in their iron content, ( yours is quite high,) and so the variety of glazed work was considerable.

The attached picture shows the actual tool cut and adapted for that smaller, wider inside C. Not sure if I've still got the other tool, but it would have looked similar. Hope that answers your questions and good luck with your collection.

Best wishes,
Chris Carter.

Chris Carter (not Bill Connor) - Cc mark 20210110
CityPotter
CityPotter

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot on January 8th 2021, 11:25 am

What a lovely man. Generally the potters community is generally full of nice people. Nice result.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM on January 8th 2021, 12:07 pm

Most Excellent  Fantastic!

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by CityPotter on January 8th 2021, 12:10 pm

NaomiM wrote:Most Excellent  Fantastic!

great isn't it!

Are you the Naomi that runs the British and Irish Pottery Marks website? If so I bet this is pretty cool for you!
CityPotter
CityPotter

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM on January 8th 2021, 12:21 pm

CityPotter wrote:
NaomiM wrote:Most Excellent  Fantastic!

great isn't it!

Are you the Naomi that runs the British and Irish Pottery Marks website? If so I bet this is pretty cool for you!

Yes, that’s me. :) Absolutely love getting verification of a new mark that’s not in the Marks book!  Most Excellent

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots on January 8th 2021, 2:32 pm

philpot wrote:One does wonder what potters reactions are when they asked to identify their work from near 50 years ago. Laughter

I remember reading about Hamada being questioned about this and he said something along the lines that if it was a good unmarked pot in his style he would say it was his, even if he hadn't made it. Likewise if it was a poor pot and he knew he had made it, then he would deny it was his.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 6216
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM on January 8th 2021, 4:31 pm

Phil Rogers did the same. If it was an old pot that he didn’t like he would swear blind it wasn’t his even though it had his mark on

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by MCWebs on January 13th 2021, 5:44 am

I met Chris Carter - for his 70 year 70 pot retrospective exhibition at a local gallery a few years back - wonderful chap and we both write a bit of poetry too - so ended up talking about that as well as his pots.. great guy.. amazing potter too..

I think i bought 2 pots from that exhibition...

Chris Carter (not Bill Connor) - Cc mark Chris_11

Chris Carter (not Bill Connor) - Cc mark Chris_12
MCWebs
MCWebs

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2017-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum