MAH 1913, red flambe lustre Arts & Crafts bowl

+3
dantheman
philpot
ohmypie
7 posters

Go down

MAH 1913, red flambe lustre Arts & Crafts bowl      Empty MAH 1913, red flambe lustre Arts & Crafts bowl

Post by ohmypie January 3rd 2021, 5:39 am

I own an unusual and Beautiful Art Pottery Bowl with a deep Blood Red Glaze but with an almost Florescent Glow to it and unusual well crafted Lusterware Painted Scenes of Swimming Koi Fish and Seaweed in a Classic Arts & Crafts Style of the Times being dated 1913. Even the three Monograms and Initials and Date on the back are that Glowing Blood Red! Truly have never seen that Color of Pottery Glaze especially in an old 1913 Dated Piece!  Bowl Measures 8 Inches across. I couldn't begin to know how to research this Piece with what it says on the back so i'm coming to you Experts in the Field for Help Identifying the Artist and any other Historic Information I can Glean from you all. Hope the Pictures do it justice and are clear enough for you.  Thank You Sincerely for your Help! Gary Knudtzon

MAH 1913, red flambe lustre Arts & Crafts bowl      Imgfis14
MAH 1913, red flambe lustre Arts & Crafts bowl      Imgfis13
MAH 1913, red flambe lustre Arts & Crafts bowl      Imgfis15
ohmypie
ohmypie

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2021-01-02

Back to top Go down

MAH 1913, red flambe lustre Arts & Crafts bowl      Empty Re: MAH 1913, red flambe lustre Arts & Crafts bowl

Post by philpot January 3rd 2021, 6:36 am

Its Red Lustre ware (or US Luster ware pottery). Lustre ware is a very old process dating back Islamic Persia times before 1000 AD. It has a long Islamic history, and also renaissance Italy and Spain. Its a delicate process involving many kiln firings, and always expensive.
This one is may well be British. Very much in the style late 19th century Arts and Crafts style of artist and makerj William De Morgan. He did lots of these fantastic bright red lustre pieces of Fish, animals, dargons etc.
The major and important British lustre ware maker was Royal Lancastrian pottery made by The Pilkington Tile company 1897-1938. They made a great deal of often spectacular lustre ware, and a good deal of it went to export to the USA.
However the pottery marks do not match with these potteries.
It is definitely not Japanese or Chinese. It definitely matches the high Arts and Crafts style which was at its peak 1890-1914. It is definitely of that sort of period. A search of Google images does not produce any similar American pottery of this date. This is mainly a British site, so living in the USA you might get better results. Search Lusterware to start off with.
What it is, is a fairly expensive piece. Depending on the maker, it could be a very expensive piece. This type of pottery is highly collectable.
If you want to see modern studio pottery of lustre ware search a British Potter called Sutton Taylor
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6349
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

MAH 1913, red flambe lustre Arts & Crafts bowl      Empty Re: MAH 1913, red flambe lustre Arts & Crafts bowl

Post by dantheman January 3rd 2021, 10:12 am

what a wonderful design! Shame the fish didn't fire correctly but still an outstanding piece of lustreware

The carp are very Japanese in style and the centre arts and crafts, so a Japanese potter, producing for a Western market?

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15414
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump January 3rd 2021, 10:33 am

Nice design, wonder if the centre mark is the pottery mark?
G... A... Pottery or A.. G.. Pottery?
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Number of posts : 7189
Registration date : 2014-06-01

http://www.magicfabric.magix.net/public/

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM January 3rd 2021, 12:15 pm

APG and HG monograms, or combinations of those letters.
I dont think it's Japanese, although Ruskin, William De Morgan, and other Arts & Crafts potters were certainly influenced by Asian ceramics

My apologies, I seem to have deleted your poll. Not sure how I did that; I've not come across one before. Shrugs Doh!

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31292
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. January 3rd 2021, 4:13 pm

It's MAH 1913

Another one

https://www.tooveys.com/lots/356455/a-red-flambe-glazed-art-pottery-plate

A red flambé glazed art pottery plate, possibly Continental, dated 1913, decorated with stylized flowers within a border of poppy heads and leaves, inscribed 'MAH 1913' and monograms 'GAP' and 'AB' to base, diameter 25cm.
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Male Number of posts : 5607
Registration date : 2009-12-19

http://www.briglin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman January 3rd 2021, 5:10 pm

NaomiM wrote:

My apologies, I seem to have deleted your poll. Not sure how I did that; I've not come across one before. Shrugs Doh!

it's probably 8 or 9 years since the last one

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15414
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by janetpjohn January 3rd 2021, 6:14 pm

Are we missing the post explaining how this is MAW & Co?
janetpjohn
janetpjohn

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2015-03-16

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM January 3rd 2021, 6:17 pm

Oops, my fault. I read Maw instead of Mah.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. January 3rd 2021, 6:25 pm

TOOVEYs must have looked at the other piece and conceded it not BRITISH, nothing they had seen before so they marked it as possibly continental.
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Male Number of posts : 5607
Registration date : 2009-12-19

http://www.briglin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM January 3rd 2021, 6:53 pm

Maw & Co tiles did do a range of red flambe ware at one point, thats what confused me

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

MAH 1913, red flambe lustre Arts & Crafts bowl      Empty Fiery Blood Red Glazed Arts & Crafts Pottery Bowl Needing Artist ID

Post by ohmypie January 3rd 2021, 11:29 pm

Thanks for all your replies to this very interesting Piece! Nice to know the name of the Pottery Ware, (Red Flambe Ware), and that it is Arts & Crafts. No ID on the Artist yet but I do remember the Antiques Dealer I bought it from saying he din't remember who the Artist was but that someone he talked to had known who the Artist was and the Identity of the Symbols on back and that it was a Japanese Artist from Japan. That's all he could remember he never wrote the Info. down. Maybe that might help in Identifying it. Gary K
ohmypie
ohmypie

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2021-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum