COMICAL POTTERY FIGURE MAN SMOKING WITH FLAT CAP SIGNED A HUT

Go down

COMICAL POTTERY FIGURE MAN SMOKING WITH FLAT CAP SIGNED A HUT Empty COMICAL POTTERY FIGURE MAN SMOKING WITH FLAT CAP SIGNED A HUT

Post by Leach54321 on December 10th 2020, 5:10 pm

Hi - This is a very comical pottery figure of a man with a cigarette and wearing a flat cap- the character for some reason looks familiar but cant quite place it and I think in particular the face is very well modelled - it is signed I think A HUT but cannot find any information on this potter - can anyone help identify the potter.

COMICAL POTTERY FIGURE MAN SMOKING WITH FLAT CAP SIGNED A HUT Img_6514
COMICAL POTTERY FIGURE MAN SMOKING WITH FLAT CAP SIGNED A HUT Img_6513
COMICAL POTTERY FIGURE MAN SMOKING WITH FLAT CAP SIGNED A HUT Img_6515
Leach54321
Leach54321

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2018-03-19

Back to top Go down

COMICAL POTTERY FIGURE MAN SMOKING WITH FLAT CAP SIGNED A HUT Empty Re: COMICAL POTTERY FIGURE MAN SMOKING WITH FLAT CAP SIGNED A HUT

Post by philpot on December 10th 2020, 6:32 pm

Looks like it is Straight out of the ANDY CAPP cartoon strip that has been running in the Daily Mirror since 1957.  Bit of an older version perhaps,  as the modern one has been tidied up a bit.  Don't know if  the HUT might be a copyright symbol.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 3698
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

COMICAL POTTERY FIGURE MAN SMOKING WITH FLAT CAP SIGNED A HUT Empty Re: COMICAL POTTERY FIGURE MAN SMOKING WITH FLAT CAP SIGNED A HUT

Post by Leach54321 on December 14th 2020, 3:35 pm

Yes now you mention it I can see the Andy Capp similarity - the mark definitely looks like a signature to me.
Leach54321
Leach54321

Back to top Go down

Post by Grumpy Grandad on December 14th 2020, 4:19 pm

It isn't Andy Capp. Capp had a large bulbous nose and when he was shown in a coat or jacket he always wore a scarf. The 'Hut' figure looks to me to be a representation of a black male.
Grumpy Grandad
Grumpy Grandad

Number of posts : 794
Registration date : 2019-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Leach54321 on December 14th 2020, 4:23 pm

Actually yes I see what you mean about the nose - definitely not Andy Capp
Leach54321
Leach54321

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum