Can Anyone Please Help Date This Art Deco Czech Teapot And Who Made It?

4 posters

Go down

Can Anyone Please Help Date This Art Deco Czech Teapot And Who Made It? Empty Can Anyone Please Help Date This Art Deco Czech Teapot And Who Made It?

Post by matthewjames Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:04 am

Hello I am new to this forum and very inexperienced in pottery. I recently acquired this art deco small teapot (10cm across) and it is the pinnacle of art deco with the shapes and angles. It seems to have an airbrush pattern similar to the German spritzdekor. It was made in Czechoslovakia but I cannot identify the maker from the mark or font and the mark may have rubbed off. Does anyone here know the manufacturer based of the mark or the design and colours? And what years it was made.

I found a second teapot and third teapot (In white and pink gild) on sold listings with a similar design with more clear markings: It has 561 etched into the pottery and 1 1/2 and 2 (on mine) and it appears to be 561 out of 3813. Any help would be so appreciated. The design seems standard for one unknown manufacturer (seen in last photo another teapot in the same shape, different colour) and appeared to export to the UK in different designs.

They both have a green font but one is capitolized and one isnt.

Many thanks

Can Anyone Please Help Date This Art Deco Czech Teapot And Who Made It? Teapot10
Can Anyone Please Help Date This Art Deco Czech Teapot And Who Made It? Teapot12
Can Anyone Please Help Date This Art Deco Czech Teapot And Who Made It? Teapot11
matthewjames
matthewjames

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2020-12-01

Back to top Go down

Can Anyone Please Help Date This Art Deco Czech Teapot And Who Made It? Empty Re: Can Anyone Please Help Date This Art Deco Czech Teapot And Who Made It?

Post by matthewjames Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:05 am

Can Anyone Please Help Date This Art Deco Czech Teapot And Who Made It? Teapot15
Can Anyone Please Help Date This Art Deco Czech Teapot And Who Made It? Teapot13
Can Anyone Please Help Date This Art Deco Czech Teapot And Who Made It? Teapot14
matthewjames
matthewjames

Back to top Go down

Can Anyone Please Help Date This Art Deco Czech Teapot And Who Made It? Empty Re: Can Anyone Please Help Date This Art Deco Czech Teapot And Who Made It?

Post by NaomiM Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:18 am

It’s very similar to the sugar, tea and coffee sets I see from the Art Deco Period, although manufacturing designs changed little until the 50s due to the War so they might be from anytime around the 1930s-50s; (the Czechoslovakia stamp would have been used from ~1920 onwards)

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31419
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by matthewjames Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:30 am

Thanks for the reply! It is still a mystery who made the stamp and the design, I have tried looking everywhere to no avail.
matthewjames
matthewjames

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:06 pm

This type of thing was imported into this country in the mid 1930s by retailers to meet the popularity of Art Deco. It was basically good quality but cheaper for the retailers to buy than from the Potteries. Occasionally, there was a factory name but more often than not just this type of mark, which was necessary by law.

I think that your chances of finding a factory are slim or none and, I suspect, Slim is out of Town.

I say that because I can't imagine anyone taking a considerable time to research something that has not been popular in collecting circles for over 30 years.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7817
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:59 pm

I heard that a lot of Czech manufacturers records were lost when the country broke up in the 90s

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31419
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:50 pm

Yes agreed both. I've seen lots of this Czech pottery over the years,
well made and stylish, but never seen a manufacturers name on any.
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Number of posts : 7205
Registration date : 2014-06-01

http://www.magicfabric.magix.net/public/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum