Unsigned Wax-resist Pot, 1970s style - Martyn Gilchrist, Bembridge?

5 posters

Go down

Unsigned Wax-resist Pot, 1970s style - Martyn Gilchrist, Bembridge? Empty Unsigned Wax-resist Pot, 1970s style - Martyn Gilchrist, Bembridge?

Post by Grumpy Grandad October 19th 2020, 1:50 pm

A very well made, two-highes high pot with the pattern repeated three times. Unmarked, and probably fated to remain unidentified, but for 99p from a charity shop it's pretty enough and fills a gap on the shelf.
I do seem to amassing a small collection of these anonymous '70s wax resist pieces.

Unsigned Wax-resist Pot, 1970s style - Martyn Gilchrist, Bembridge? 20201012

Unsigned Wax-resist Pot, 1970s style - Martyn Gilchrist, Bembridge? 20201010

Unsigned Wax-resist Pot, 1970s style - Martyn Gilchrist, Bembridge? 20201011
Grumpy Grandad
Grumpy Grandad

Number of posts : 867
Registration date : 2019-11-11

Back to top Go down

Unsigned Wax-resist Pot, 1970s style - Martyn Gilchrist, Bembridge? Empty Re: Unsigned Wax-resist Pot, 1970s style - Martyn Gilchrist, Bembridge?

Post by NaomiM October 19th 2020, 1:54 pm

I've seen quite a few of these, but still a mystery. Juliet Beaumont did something similar but these ones all have the same decoration and none are marked so may just be a coincidence.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31480
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Unsigned Wax-resist Pot, 1970s style - Martyn Gilchrist, Bembridge? Empty Re: Unsigned Wax-resist Pot, 1970s style - Martyn Gilchrist, Bembridge?

Post by potterymad62 October 19th 2020, 5:54 pm

Possibly Bembridge - Martyn Gilchrist, Isle of Wight.
Unsigned Wax-resist Pot, 1970s style - Martyn Gilchrist, Bembridge? Il_79423
potterymad62
potterymad62

Male Number of posts : 809
Registration date : 2009-07-22

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM October 19th 2020, 9:46 pm

Is that one marked? I have photos of several which are all unmarked. He did do a similar style of decoration but, as with Julia Beaumont, not a match to this particular decoration and his pieces are marked

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Grumpy Grandad October 19th 2020, 10:14 pm

There's a Martyn Gilchrist pot on your Pinterest which looks very similar, Naomi, but I can only link to the google image because for some reason when I click on the link it goes to your pinterest page but it constantly flashes on and off as if it can't load properly. The pot has the same freckled dark grey glaze and thick, dark outline to the pattern and same colour grey.
This should be the link to the google image:
https://images.app.goo.gl/8amRqt5bCanLhg166
Grumpy Grandad
Grumpy Grandad

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM October 19th 2020, 11:49 pm

Not sure why I hadn’t uploaded those photos on the forum. I’ve done it now. It has Gilchrist’s IoW stamp on the base. All of these mugs have the same pattern but different glazes and none are marked. Whereas potters like Gilchrist and Beaumont almost always mark their work except for the rare instances where the odd one slips through.

https://www.20thcenturyforum.com/t15236-martyn-gilchrist-bembridge-pottery-isle-of-wight#192697

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot October 20th 2020, 8:14 am

I came across numbers of pieces with this type of design while we lived in Southampton and I did boot sales a good deal. It might well be a Gilchrist Isle of Wight piece, the area fits. Mind you, I never bought any of the pieces as they weren't worth anything! Laughter
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6395
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Unsigned Wax-resist Pot, 1970s style - Martyn Gilchrist, Bembridge? Empty Bembridge Pottery

Post by potterymad62 October 20th 2020, 11:18 am

NaomiM wrote:Is that one marked? I have photos of several which are all unmarked. He did do a similar style of decoration but, as with Julia Beaumont, not a match to this particular decoration and his pieces are marked
Hi NaomiM! No it's not signed, Had some for sale on my website including this mug. A person from IOW contacted me to confirm they were from the Bembridge, with out the marks who's to say that person is correct, that's why I said possibly by BP. So still not officially ID. I should have added more details in my first post as not to confuse.
potterymad62
potterymad62

Back to top Go down

Post by potterymad62 October 20th 2020, 11:31 am

Unsigned Wax-resist Pot, 1970s style - Martyn Gilchrist, Bembridge? Il_11412
Unsigned Wax-resist Pot, 1970s style - Martyn Gilchrist, Bembridge? Il_11413
potterymad62
potterymad62

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM October 20th 2020, 2:31 pm

potterymad62 wrote:
NaomiM wrote:Is that one marked? I have photos of several which are all unmarked. He did do a similar style of decoration but, as with Julia Beaumont, not a match to this particular decoration and his pieces are marked
Hi NaomiM! No it's not signed, Had some for sale on my website including this mug. A person from IOW contacted me to confirm they were from the Bembridge, with out the marks who's to say that person is correct, that's why I said possibly by BP. So still not officially ID. I should have added more details in my first post as not to confuse.

Excellent

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Grumpy Grandad October 20th 2020, 3:10 pm

philpot wrote:I came across numbers of pieces with this type of design while we lived in Southampton and I did boot sales a good deal. It might well be a Gilchrist Isle of Wight piece, the area fits. Mind you, I never bought any of the pieces as they weren't worth anything! Laughter
Oh, I don't know, it must have 99p worth of decorative value Big Laughter
I suppose that one good thing about not being a dealer is that I don't have to consider re-sale value when I buy something. I tend to pick most of my pots up for very little anyway, so if and when I get bored of a piece I can just donate it to a charity shop without feeling I've lost anything.

Now, on balance is the consensus that mine is, might be, or isn't a Gilchrist piece? It's always nice to put a name to a piece.
Grumpy Grandad
Grumpy Grandad

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM October 20th 2020, 4:18 pm

Until one turns up with his stamp I'm still on the fence.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by potterymad62 October 20th 2020, 4:19 pm

NaomiM wrote:Until one turns up with his stamp I'm still on the fence.
Excellent
potterymad62
potterymad62

Back to top Go down

Post by Grumpy Grandad October 20th 2020, 5:27 pm

At least one thing we're sure about is that the same person made mine and potterymad's pieces.
Grumpy Grandad
Grumpy Grandad

Back to top Go down

Post by potterymad62 October 20th 2020, 7:25 pm

Grumpy Grandad wrote:At least one thing we're sure about is that the same person made mine and potterymad's pieces.
Excellent
potterymad62
potterymad62

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump October 20th 2020, 7:55 pm

Unless of course there is a missing sticker.
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Number of posts : 7217
Registration date : 2014-06-01

http://www.magicfabric.magix.net/public/

Back to top Go down

Post by Grumpy Grandad October 20th 2020, 9:56 pm

denbydump wrote:Unless of course there is a missing sticker.

There's a lot of them about..or not about, as they're missing.
Grumpy Grandad
Grumpy Grandad

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump October 20th 2020, 11:19 pm

I'm sure the are many other potteries that did this style.
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Number of posts : 7217
Registration date : 2014-06-01

http://www.magicfabric.magix.net/public/

Back to top Go down

Post by Grumpy Grandad October 21st 2020, 3:24 am

Oh, for sure, dd. I've amassed quite a few of the buggers, all of a similar age, similar finger-swipe or wax-resist decoration but with an assortment of clays, some thickly potted, others much thinner-bodied, from very precise shapes to the apparently casual, 'it's nearly round so it'll do' forms. And not one of 'em has an identifying mark or sticker.
Grumpy Grandad
Grumpy Grandad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum