Nice little vase, incised 'DS' or similar.

2 posters

Go down

Nice little vase, incised 'DS' or similar. Empty Nice little vase, incised 'DS' or similar.

Post by Grumpy Grandad September 28th 2020, 4:16 pm

This is, in my opinion, a very well-made little specimen vase, just under 3" high, with a very narrow neck - the actual hole is less than 1/8" in diameter.
The glaze is very cold, hard and 'flinty' to the touch.
The incised mark looks to be DS; the D was certainly incised first as the S cuts through it.
The general form and proportions of the pot suggest an experienced potter to me, but the mark doesn't look very well thought out with the S being so elongated, and I would have thought that the vertical line of the D would have been incorporated into the long S, although maybe that was deliberate as otherwise it would look like an 'SP' mark (and there's too many of those around already!).
Anyway, all suggestions gratefully accepted.

Nice little vase, incised 'DS' or similar. 20200934

Nice little vase, incised 'DS' or similar. 20200935

Nice little vase, incised 'DS' or similar. 20200936

Last edited by Grumpy Grandad on September 28th 2020, 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling in title)
Grumpy Grandad
Grumpy Grandad

Number of posts : 867
Registration date : 2019-11-11

Back to top Go down

Nice little vase, incised 'DS' or similar. Empty Re: Nice little vase, incised 'DS' or similar.

Post by NaomiM September 28th 2020, 4:47 pm

Maybe an FP mark

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31289
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Nice little vase, incised 'DS' or similar. Empty Re: Nice little vase, incised 'DS' or similar.

Post by Grumpy Grandad September 28th 2020, 7:32 pm

Maybe, but the small vertical line that runs off to the left makes me think it's a D rather than a P; it would be longer for a P. It's possible that the curve may represent both D and P with the vertical of the P incorporated unto the S or F, so it might even be DSP or DFP.
Grumpy Grandad
Grumpy Grandad

Number of posts : 867
Registration date : 2019-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum