THE LEONARD AND ALISON SHURZ COLLECTION OCTOBER 2020 AUCTION

Go down

THE LEONARD AND ALISON SHURZ COLLECTION OCTOBER 2020 AUCTION Empty THE LEONARD AND ALISON SHURZ COLLECTION OCTOBER 2020 AUCTION

Post by philpot on September 15th 2020, 7:30 am

https://live.adampartridge.co.uk/m/view-auctions/catalog/id/208

A vast two day auction of over 1000 Lots of American, Japanese, European and British studio pottery. The British items start from circa 570 and are in alphabetical order.  The British stuff is very interesting, collected from Art in Clay Hatfield, Oxford Ceramics Fair, Goldmark Gallery, Contemporary Ceramics London etc. over the past 10 years or so. Well worth a long perusal. One of the most varied , interesting, and largest collections of studio pottery to come up in some time.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 3308
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

THE LEONARD AND ALISON SHURZ COLLECTION OCTOBER 2020 AUCTION Empty Re: THE LEONARD AND ALISON SHURZ COLLECTION OCTOBER 2020 AUCTION

Post by dantheman on September 15th 2020, 10:10 am

undoubtedly the best auction I have ever seen

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 14510
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

THE LEONARD AND ALISON SHURZ COLLECTION OCTOBER 2020 AUCTION Empty Re: THE LEONARD AND ALISON SHURZ COLLECTION OCTOBER 2020 AUCTION

Post by philpot on September 16th 2020, 7:07 am

Probably not enough historical depth to be one of the best. Fascinating to see a very large individual collection tho. Mostly built up over the past ten years, with items purchased in 2019. Very big customers of Goldmark Gallery, as most of the Japanese and Asian pottery seems to have been bought from there. Equally their tastes in British studio pottery seems to have been very much guided by Goldmark, Lots of Nic Collins, Phil Rogers, Jim Malone, Mike Dodd, Jean Luc Gerard, Clive Bowen, Svend Bayer.....Goldmark potters one and all.
One suspects there are many bargains to be had. Especially in the American stuff. I hardly recognise any of those American potters names. Unless the Yanks participate in the first part, that stuff is gonna go dirt cheap. Some nice pottery there as well.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 3308
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman on September 16th 2020, 9:53 am

I will be bidding on several of the Yank pots, I get bored of just buying Brit and European ceramics

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 14510
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. on September 16th 2020, 10:12 am

It's like a pot a week for ten years. 500+ pots. at £100 each that's £50k
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Male Number of posts : 3414
Registration date : 2009-12-19

http://www.briglin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tenpot on September 16th 2020, 11:12 am

I wonder how the estimates compare to the origional purchase price
tenpot
tenpot

Male Number of posts : 2445
Registration date : 2008-06-07

http://aucoustier.blogspot.fr/

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM on September 16th 2020, 12:58 pm

Definitely priced to sell. There are pieces on there I’ve paid £50-£70 from a Gallery or potters websites, which they’ve put a starting price on of £10 and an estimate of £20-30.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 22256
Registration date : 2012-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots on September 16th 2020, 3:39 pm

I think I remember seeing little Leonard rushing around Hatfield, unless he was someone else that seemed to be fixed on buying quantity over a few quality pieces.

The estimates mean that many people, including myself, might bid who otherwise might not have bothered. That could mean some pieces might fly. However, there is so much miscellaneous stuff that, if you like it, then it ought to be yours at a fraction of the price it was bought for by the Shurzs.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 6025
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum