Small Japanese Seto ware, celadon glazed, floral decorated, pitchers

Go down

Small Japanese Seto ware, celadon glazed, floral decorated, pitchers Empty Small Japanese Seto ware, celadon glazed, floral decorated, pitchers

Post by Ejp on August 31st 2020, 11:01 am

Good morning everyone, I am wondering if you could possibly help? I bid at auction for the first time. These two jugs were part of the lot. They appear to be matching and hand decorated but I have no idea as to their origin. There's a mark on the bottom but I can't tell what if says. I am wondering if they're Japanese? Thanks a lot.

Small Japanese Seto ware, celadon glazed, floral decorated, pitchers Img_2015
Small Japanese Seto ware, celadon glazed, floral decorated, pitchers Img_2014
Ejp
Ejp

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2020-08-31

Back to top Go down

Small Japanese Seto ware, celadon glazed, floral decorated, pitchers Empty Re: Small Japanese Seto ware, celadon glazed, floral decorated, pitchers

Post by NaomiM on August 31st 2020, 1:21 pm

The mark is a couple of kanji characters and the style looks Asian but I’m not sure if it’s Japanese or made in one of the smaller countries like Korea or Thailand. If you can get a clear image of it by pencil rubbing or smearing marmite over it then you could try matching it to the marks on the Gotheborg website of 20thC Chinese and Japanese Marks. I don’t think they are particularly old; latter half of the 20thC maybe. Although the form might be earlier; they tended to pass the styles down the generations.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 22227
Registration date : 2012-05-15

Back to top Go down

Small Japanese Seto ware, celadon glazed, floral decorated, pitchers Empty Re: Small Japanese Seto ware, celadon glazed, floral decorated, pitchers

Post by Ejp on August 31st 2020, 2:03 pm

Thanks a lot for your reply, it's really helpful. I'll try a pencil rubbing!
Ejp
Ejp

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM on August 31st 2020, 3:59 pm

Moved to ID My Pottery as it's not been identified yet

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM on August 31st 2020, 4:03 pm

Found some similar ones by searching on Japanese celadon porcelain:
Seto Celadon, Late Meiji (beginning of the 20thC) onwards

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Ejp on August 31st 2020, 4:20 pm

Hi Naomi, I think you are spot on. Thanks a lot. There are similar ones online with exactly the same shade of green and a very similar blossom design. The base is also the same and has 12 sides.
Ejp
Ejp

Back to top Go down

Post by aiko on September 1st 2020, 12:04 pm

I shoud  a bit older thnr you guys because i cant see/read the mark Laughter Laughter . what i can see is the foot rim;   the half glazed foot rim and the shape of the impressed mark looks odd.
and
There are a lot of fakes at the market so plz be crefull when you seraching on pics and you find similar ones.
aiko
aiko

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2018-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ejp on September 1st 2020, 12:27 pm

Hi Aiko, thanks for your reply. It's not actually glazed on the base, I think it's the light.
Ejp
Ejp

Back to top Go down

Post by aiko on September 1st 2020, 1:06 pm

i ment the foot rim; normally the bottom of a piece is or celadon glazed or clear glazed; celadon glaze inside footrim is odd
if the bottom is unglazed its most likely a recent piece or a repro i'm affraid
aiko
aiko

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2018-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum