Thickly glazed, facetted pot - Joanna Howells, Tythegston Pottery

Go down

Thickly glazed, facetted pot - Joanna Howells, Tythegston Pottery Empty Thickly glazed, facetted pot - Joanna Howells, Tythegston Pottery

Post by imajica on July 11th 2020, 11:28 am

A nice heavy lidded pot with a glaze that seems a lot more modern than the pot itself.  S mark but partly obscured by a blob. Thickly glazed, facetted pot - Joanna Howells, Tythegston Pottery Img_2097
Thickly glazed, facetted pot - Joanna Howells, Tythegston Pottery Img_2096
imajica
imajica

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2018-11-28

Back to top Go down

Thickly glazed, facetted pot - Joanna Howells, Tythegston Pottery Empty Re: Thickly glazed, facetted pot - Joanna Howells, Tythegston Pottery

Post by NaomiM on July 11th 2020, 12:19 pm

I believe it’s by Joanna Howells. The New Ashgate Gallery has some similar pieces of stoneware by her, although her porcelain ware is better known.

http://www.joannahowells.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2&Itemid=101

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 22481
Registration date : 2012-05-15

Back to top Go down

Thickly glazed, facetted pot - Joanna Howells, Tythegston Pottery Empty Re: Thickly glazed, facetted pot - Joanna Howells, Tythegston Pottery

Post by philpot on July 11th 2020, 1:47 pm

I just cannot see that as a Joanna Howells mark. Hers is a very clear H with a J running down the centre of the mark and curving around the bottom. I've still got a Joanna Howells piece packed up somewhere,and have several others of hers before. That topped curve of a possible S is just nothing like anything on her mark.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 3394
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM on July 11th 2020, 11:13 pm

It’s her TP mark for Tythegston Pottery; used on her tableware. It’s on her website.  

http://www.joannahowells.co.uk/

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 22481
Registration date : 2012-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots on July 12th 2020, 10:40 am

Although Joanna had a couple of solo exhibitions with me in the Harlequin Gallery, Greenwich days and showed her first stoneware at the last of these, I had lost touch and knew nothing of her Tythegston Pottery venture. It seems from the website that the production of pots such as this one began in 2012 and is a range of functional wares produced by her and her students.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 6049
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum