Blue Slipware Mug without Mark / Signature - Troyan Pottery, Bulgaria

Go down

Blue Slipware Mug without Mark / Signature - Troyan Pottery, Bulgaria Empty Blue Slipware Mug without Mark / Signature - Troyan Pottery, Bulgaria

Post by logboy on February 23rd 2020, 2:53 pm

First post.

This was sat in one of my local charity shops, and I think there's something about it. Can't decide if it's good amateur or flawed larger-scale production by an independent maker.

Colours are very reminiscent of mocha ware (blue, brown, black white), but design is obviously more recent to my eyes; feathered / dripped, perhaps. Vintage rather than antique, I guess. Nicely done, clean and simple design with effective execution. Great shape and size; scale is decent and accurate for good usability - not too big at all (about half pint?), certainly not small enough to suggest coffee. Slight errors with some treatment of the glazing, when removing from wheel (blue scraped across base) and applying handle (some minor brown over main body) but so nice too look at, i think.

Not marked on base, no stamp or signature. Not hanging on this being valuable bargain, but rather just interested to see if it turns out to be by anyone in particular.

Any help appreciated.

Blue Slipware Mug without Mark / Signature - Troyan Pottery, Bulgaria Img_1910

Blue Slipware Mug without Mark / Signature - Troyan Pottery, Bulgaria Img_1912

Blue Slipware Mug without Mark / Signature - Troyan Pottery, Bulgaria Img_1911
logboy
logboy

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2020-02-23

Back to top Go down

Blue Slipware Mug without Mark / Signature - Troyan Pottery, Bulgaria Empty Re: Blue Slipware Mug without Mark / Signature - Troyan Pottery, Bulgaria

Post by NaomiM on February 23rd 2020, 3:05 pm

It's Troyan slipware from Bulgaria. A lot of it around; they seem to have stuck with the same small number of designs for decades, which are based on old folkware patterns.

https://www.20thcenturyforum.com/t13217-troyan-slipware-pottery-bulgaria#176261

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 21743
Registration date : 2012-05-15

Back to top Go down

Blue Slipware Mug without Mark / Signature - Troyan Pottery, Bulgaria Empty Re: Blue Slipware Mug without Mark / Signature - Troyan Pottery, Bulgaria

Post by logboy on February 23rd 2020, 3:10 pm

NaomiM wrote:It's Troyan slipware from Bulgaria. A lot of it around; they seem to have stuck with the same small number of designs for decades, which are based on old folkware patterns.

https://www.20thcenturyforum.com/t13217-troyan-slipware-pottery-bulgaria#176261

blimey. that was quick. guessing it is very common, then. never seen it before. impossible to date because of the lack of progress / change?
logboy
logboy

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM on February 23rd 2020, 3:12 pm

Still being made, and has been made in quantity since the 60s at least, so impossible to date.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 21743
Registration date : 2012-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by logboy on February 23rd 2020, 3:13 pm

NaomiM wrote:Still being made, and has been made in quantity since the 60s at least, so impossible to date.

thanks. googling now. looks like minor variations in shape over the years.
logboy
logboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum