Sidney Tustin Winchcombe jam pot, unusual mark

Go down

Sidney Tustin Winchcombe jam pot, unusual mark Empty Sidney Tustin Winchcombe jam pot, unusual mark

Post by benwilliams on September 17th 2019, 7:35 pm

Got a nice little jam pot.
Trying to date it and I know Sidney Tustin worked there 1927-39 and 1946–78.
I’ve only had a couple of his pieces before. Is the pattern common ?
The mark is all one impressed mark S above T with the Winchcombe mark next to it.
Is that an unusual mark or does it help date it ?
Thanks for looking.

Sidney Tustin Winchcombe jam pot, unusual mark 0ce8f310
Sidney Tustin Winchcombe jam pot, unusual mark 46f33810
Sidney Tustin Winchcombe jam pot, unusual mark Daa57a10
benwilliams
benwilliams

Number of posts : 557
Registration date : 2017-12-27

Back to top Go down

Sidney Tustin Winchcombe jam pot, unusual mark Empty Re: Sidney Tustin Winchcombe jam pot, unusual mark

Post by philpot on September 17th 2019, 8:50 pm

Winchcombe stopped making earthenware in 1964. So this stoneware pot would date it to the latter end of his career. Is there a full ST there? Can't see for certain.
         Must admit to preferring Sid Tustin's earthenware work..It has a folkish charm all of its own. His stoneware work doesn't seem to have that charm, being more or less any  piece of generic 60's.70's Leach style  pot.
        Having said that, it is  still a well made attractive piece.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 2568
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Sidney Tustin Winchcombe jam pot, unusual mark Empty Re: Sidney Tustin Winchcombe jam pot, unusual mark

Post by NaomiM on September 17th 2019, 9:11 pm

Might be CT for Charlie Tustin

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 20476
Registration date : 2012-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump on September 17th 2019, 9:12 pm

Yes a lovely well decorated item. I have a lot of ST, but nothing like this.
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Number of posts : 4566
Registration date : 2014-06-01

http://www.magicfabric.magix.net/public/

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM on September 17th 2019, 9:18 pm

Another example here -

https://www.20thcenturyforum.com/t7608-winchcombe-pottery#84286

looking though our Winchcombe thread it's not a rare mark. Seems it's one of Sid Tustin's

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 20476
Registration date : 2012-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by benwilliams on September 17th 2019, 9:29 pm

Thank you everyone. - I’ve never had any Winchcombe earthenware pieces - I shall look out for them.
benwilliams
benwilliams

Number of posts : 557
Registration date : 2017-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot on September 18th 2019, 7:17 am

John Edgeler has written a paperback book on Sid Tustin.Well worth reading. https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&cm_sp=SearchF-_-home-_-Results&an=&tn=SID+TUSTIN&kn=&isbn=

I have read that Sid Tustin  made over 1,000,000 pots in his time at Winchcombe, He was THE production potter, and could produce at an amazing rate. His earthenware pieces cone up reasonably frequently on eBAY, and in recent years seem to be more collectable. It is the 100th anniversary of Winchcombe in 1926, which is not that far away.
        If you are thinking of a Winchcombe collection,  Sid Tustin is a good base for it. Lots of vert nice pieces at reasonable cost. He was an excellent potter!
           Looking at that Winchcombe mark again. It is quite a vintage one. Very different from the mark on most Winchcombe standard ware. I would not be surprised if that dates it to the 60's.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 2568
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman on September 18th 2019, 9:55 am

I feel a hall of fame thread is well overdue

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 14098
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots on September 18th 2019, 5:43 pm

NaomiM wrote:Might be CT for Charlie Tustin

Charlie never worked there when stoneware was made.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 5622
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots on September 18th 2019, 5:44 pm

philpot wrote:John Edgeler has written a paperback book on Sid Tustin.Well worth reading. https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&cm_sp=SearchF-_-home-_-Results&an=&tn=SID+TUSTIN&kn=&isbn=

I have read that Sid Tustin  made over 1,000,000 pots in his time at Winchcombe, He was THE production potter, and could produce at an amazing rate. His earthenware pieces cone up reasonably frequently on eBAY, and in recent years seem to be more collectable. It is the 100th anniversary of Winchcombe in 1926, which is not that far away.
        If you are thinking of a Winchcombe collection,  Sid Tustin is a good base for it. Lots of vert nice pieces at reasonable cost. He was an excellent potter!
           Looking at that Winchcombe mark again. It is quite a vintage one. Very different from the mark on most Winchcombe standard ware. I would not be surprised if that dates it to the 60's.

I agree that it will be from the 1960s and early rather than late.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 5622
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum