Beautifully made jug with a 'T' stamp (I think)

3 posters

Go down

Beautifully made jug with a 'T' stamp (I think) Empty Beautifully made jug with a 'T' stamp (I think)

Post by Beege September 5th 2019, 1:37 pm

Good afternoon all.
I purchased this jug solely on the basis it seemed so beautifully made. The smoothness/fineness and colour of the clay brings to mind the material used in Yixing teapots. A very tactile item to hold.
The jug is 5.5" (14cm) tall and has a very small mark on the base. The mark appears to be a single 'T', though I suppose it could be a 'J' followed by a full stop. I have tried to photograph this as clearly as I can.
The nearest I could find in Fournier is Terry Tobias, but on looking at his work I am unable to find any works close to this style.
Can anybody please help me to identify the maker/style?
Thank you.
Jack
Beautifully made jug with a 'T' stamp (I think) T_jug_11
Beautifully made jug with a 'T' stamp (I think) T_jug_12
Beautifully made jug with a 'T' stamp (I think) T_jug_10
Beege
Beege

Male Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2017-08-23

Back to top Go down

Beautifully made jug with a 'T' stamp (I think) Empty Re: Beautifully made jug with a 'T' stamp (I think)

Post by denbydump September 5th 2019, 2:49 pm

I think It's Watcombe terracotta.
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Number of posts : 7189
Registration date : 2014-06-01

http://www.magicfabric.magix.net/public/

Back to top Go down

Beautifully made jug with a 'T' stamp (I think) Empty Re: Beautifully made jug with a 'T' stamp (I think)

Post by philpot September 5th 2019, 3:08 pm

Must admit, it does not look like individual studio pottery. Too uniform and perfect, which is exactly what mass produced pieces have to be.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6349
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Beege September 5th 2019, 6:44 pm

Thanks denbydump and philpot...much appreciated.
I also back-tracked through this forum and eventually reached this Prattware example which has exactly the same shape as my jug.
https://www.thecollectingbug.com/prattwarepottery~terracotta~chainlinkdesign~tercl021/item?3
Beege
Beege

Back to top Go down

Post by Beege September 13th 2019, 3:38 pm

I confess I'm a little confused about the maker of this jug.
The link I provided (above) shows a Prattware Terracotta Jug with the exact same size, shape and gold decoration and many Prattware pieces do seem to have small, single marks like mine. However, I have also seen other jugs with similar colouring and designs which are attributed to Watcombe Terracotta (as suggested by denbydump (above).
How does one absolutely identify these jugs as being made by Prattware or Watcombe?
Any thoughts?
Thank you.
Jack
Beege
Beege

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum