Small Leach Pottery Dish.

Go down

Small Leach Pottery Dish. Empty Small Leach Pottery Dish.

Post by potterymad62 August 31st 2019, 7:05 pm

Pick up this lovely Leach Pottery small dish, been told it could be by John Reeve. Maybe it's by Leach himself, just wondering what date it is. I bought it for a £1 today.  At the time of purchase I could not read the seal, when I got home, out with the pencil and a bit of shading, behold the Leach mark🤣 Laughter Laughter Laughter .

Small Leach Pottery Dish. Imgp2610
Small Leach Pottery Dish. Imgp2612
Small Leach Pottery Dish. Imgp2611
potterymad62
potterymad62

Male Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2009-07-22

https://www.ebuygumm.co.uk/shop/Redruth_Collectables/

Back to top Go down

Small Leach Pottery Dish. Empty Re: Small Leach Pottery Dish.

Post by NaomiM August 31st 2019, 8:13 pm

Judging from the England stamp and the clay, I think it’s a relatively early Standard Ware piece, so 1945-55?

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 23834
Registration date : 2012-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by potterymad62 August 31st 2019, 8:25 pm

NaomiM wrote:Judging from the England stamp and the clay, I think it’s a relatively early Standard Ware piece, so 1945-55?
Thanks for dates NaomiM thought it was near this period somewhere, cheers.
potterymad62
potterymad62

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot September 1st 2019, 7:35 am

The England mark probably dates it somewhat later, 1960's. The use of the England mark was specifically down to changes in Purchase Tax (the forerunner of VAT) to favour British made goods as opposed to Foreign imports. I have never seen it used on pre 1955 standard ware. Equally the lettering of the ENGLAND mark is exactly the same typeface as on most Leach standard ware that bears this mark.
John Reeve might well by a good bet. The collector who made that suggestion on Facebook is very knowledgeable. He was an apprentice at the Leach pottery 1959-61 and also worked in Devon for a couple of years afterwards. However, it could have been by one of the other apprentices, as they allowed a freer reign on their own work in the late 60's and 70's, and it is from this time that you see apprentice Leach work with personal marks.
Very nice piece tho.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 3963
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by potterymad62 September 1st 2019, 9:41 am

philpot wrote:The England mark probably dates it somewhat later, 1960's. The use of the England mark was specifically down to changes in Purchase Tax (the forerunner of VAT) to favour British made goods as opposed to Foreign imports. I have never seen it used on pre 1955 standard ware. Equally the lettering of the ENGLAND mark is exactly the same typeface as on most Leach standard ware that bears this mark.
               John Reeve might well by a good bet. The collector who made that suggestion on Facebook is very knowledgeable. He was an apprentice at the Leach pottery 1959-61 and also worked in Devon for a couple of years afterwards. However, it could have been by one of the other apprentices, as they allowed a freer reign on their own work in the late 60's and 70's, and it is from this time that you see apprentice Leach work with personal marks.

Very nice piece tho.

Hi philpot! Thanks for the info and input, As we all know their were many students at the Leach pottery so it's very difficult to attribute this to one particular individual apprentice. I have Googled for the glaze pattern/design but no luck, mine you, I could be browsing for days when it come to Leach research, just need to see what pops up in the future regarding the design and potter, someone somewhere will always comes up with the goods and knowledge at some point in time.

Best

Ernest
potterymad62
potterymad62

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot September 1st 2019, 12:43 pm

In treality, I do not think you will ever know.Leach St Ives in the 60's was a vwery busy production pottery,with up to 8 potters at any one time. While a nice design, it is far from a unique style. Equally it is still Leach production standard ware.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 3963
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by potterymad62 September 1st 2019, 12:55 pm

philpot wrote:In treality, I do not think you will ever know.Leach St Ives in the 60's was a vwery busy production pottery,with up to 8 potters at any one time. While a nice design, it is far from a unique style. Equally it is still Leach production standard ware.
So true and thanks for the info and your input, and thanks to all members and their informative replies, cracking crew.
potterymad62
potterymad62

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum