Just wondered the age of this lovely Michael Leach Lidded pot

Go down

Just wondered the age of this lovely Michael Leach Lidded pot Empty Just wondered the age of this lovely Michael Leach Lidded pot

Post by JudyB on July 20th 2019, 5:36 pm

Hi

I wondered if anyone knew of the age of this small lidded pot.

Was lucky enough to get his card which I thought was lovely. Sorry just the one picture at the moment till I get home but it is  Yelland Manor Pottery.

Thanks Judyb

Just wondered the age of this lovely Michael Leach Lidded pot 8fe56a10
JudyB
JudyB

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2019-06-22

Back to top Go down

Just wondered the age of this lovely Michael Leach Lidded pot Empty Re: Just wondered the age of this lovely Michael Leach Lidded pot

Post by dantheman on July 20th 2019, 5:41 pm

the picture is very blurred?

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 14033
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Just wondered the age of this lovely Michael Leach Lidded pot Empty Re: Just wondered the age of this lovely Michael Leach Lidded pot

Post by JudyB on July 20th 2019, 5:51 pm

Sorry not sure why. It’s ok my end
JudyB
JudyB

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM on July 20th 2019, 6:03 pm

The pottery ran from 1955 until Michael’s death around 1984. I’m guessing that’s an early phone number so from early in the pottery’s existence

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 20162
Registration date : 2012-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman on July 20th 2019, 6:19 pm

the phone number was not readable on my pc Shocked

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 14033
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM on July 20th 2019, 6:28 pm

I’m guessing from the length of the phone number: 3 digits plus a 2 digit area code

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 20162
Registration date : 2012-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by JudyB on July 20th 2019, 9:47 pm

Thankyou for your comments will post a better pic of card tomorrow. It did look a very old phone number.
JudyB
JudyB

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot on July 21st 2019, 8:41 am

The Y Yelland mark is a generic mark, used by everyone who worked at the pottery. Michael Leach did use a personal M within an L mark, but he used it very sparingly indeed, and personal marked pieces are rare.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 2492
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by JudyB on July 21st 2019, 9:07 am

Ah. I see, so just because there is the usual Yelland mark and a business card that does not mean he actually made the piece himself.
JudyB
JudyB

Back to top Go down

Post by JudyB on July 21st 2019, 11:18 pm

Hi this is the mark on the bottom Just wondered the age of this lovely Michael Leach Lidded pot 18a16510
JudyB
JudyB

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot on July 22nd 2019, 8:27 am

Michael Leach used his personal mark on only what he thought were his very best pieces, and it was only a small pottery with one or two apprentices at a time. So this might well well be by him, and it is atypical of the pottery.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 2492
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by JudyB on July 22nd 2019, 9:20 am

There is a little hope thenJust wondered the age of this lovely Michael Leach Lidded pot Fa12b810
JudyB
JudyB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum