Large earthenware jug, applied roundel, country style - Anthony Barclay

5 posters

Go down

Large earthenware jug, applied roundel, country style - Anthony Barclay Empty Large earthenware jug, applied roundel, country style - Anthony Barclay

Post by benwilliams April 22nd 2019, 7:43 am

Any ideas? No mark. 15” tall. Looks like thrown in 2 halves and joined , neck added.
Some elements look better made e.g. handle, spout.
Bought it quickly, thinking it was antique old. Think now studio piece.
Home potted?
Large earthenware jug, applied roundel, country style - Anthony Barclay 22e56c10
Large earthenware jug, applied roundel, country style - Anthony Barclay C49c4a10
Large earthenware jug, applied roundel, country style - Anthony Barclay 1449d910
benwilliams
benwilliams

Number of posts : 2297
Registration date : 2017-12-27

Back to top Go down

Large earthenware jug, applied roundel, country style - Anthony Barclay Empty Re: Large earthenware jug, applied roundel, country style - Anthony Barclay

Post by benwilliams April 22nd 2019, 7:44 am

Large earthenware jug, applied roundel, country style - Anthony Barclay A1c76410
Large earthenware jug, applied roundel, country style - Anthony Barclay 4930af10
benwilliams
benwilliams

Back to top Go down

Large earthenware jug, applied roundel, country style - Anthony Barclay Empty Re: Large earthenware jug, applied roundel, country style - Anthony Barclay

Post by dantheman April 22nd 2019, 7:53 am

in the style of Bellarmine jugs

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15416
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by benwilliams April 22nd 2019, 8:18 am

But the bellarmines were made a bit more skilfully, most of them.
I have got a couple of studio bellarmines to ID
benwilliams
benwilliams

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman April 22nd 2019, 9:41 am

I would love to see them

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15416
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM April 22nd 2019, 11:45 am

The handle is a bit thin. Could well be old but could also be from somewhere like France that is still producing pots in styles that go back hundreds of years

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31481
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by benwilliams April 22nd 2019, 8:03 pm

Completely undamaged so unlikely to be old but could be. I need to show a few people . Thanks. And I’ll dig out the Bellarmines.
benwilliams
benwilliams

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM April 22nd 2019, 8:19 pm

The prunts could point to Belgium-Germany area

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by benwilliams January 13th 2021, 5:15 pm

Hooray, a result! A message from Doug Fitch who I got in touch with on a friend’s advice.
“I can indeed help with the jug. It was made by Anthony Barclay and fired either in my old wood kiln in Devon, about 15years ago, or in the bottle kiln at the Burton Art Gallery in Bideford. I think probably the former.

I'm pretty sure he took moulds for the roundels from pots in the Burton”

There doesn’t seem to be much online with info about Anthony Barclay pottery but he is involved in other arts ventures I think.
benwilliams
benwilliams

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM January 13th 2021, 6:20 pm

Most Excellent

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. January 13th 2021, 6:42 pm

Very lucky to get a result on an anonymous brown jug. There must be so many of them about. I would have said 80s or 70s
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Male Number of posts : 5607
Registration date : 2009-12-19

http://www.briglin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots January 14th 2021, 9:56 am

I hadn't seen the jug before but the earthenware clay looks similar to that used by Doug Fitch i.e. lighter than older earthenware, which might be a useful tip for dating such things in future.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7817
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by benwilliams January 14th 2021, 5:19 pm

Also a friend looked at it and said it wasn’t a lead glaze like you would have on an antique piece. Not sure how he could tell and I’ve handled lots of old shards.
benwilliams
benwilliams

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum