Mary Oday, Highbank Porcelain, Lochgilphead

3 posters

Go down

Mary Oday, Highbank Porcelain, Lochgilphead Empty Mary Oday, Highbank Porcelain, Lochgilphead

Post by Lego March 6th 2019, 11:25 am

Hi, I found these two vases separately but think are from same era and factory. They both have a seam from casting. Hand decorated. Both use a lavender pink colour and have similar decorative theme landscapes at sunset. Different signatures I think, both pretty much illegible.

How old do you think they are? Would you think European or Asian?

My guess is they were mass produced shapes but probably have a bit of age to them. I think 1920s-1950s or more recent repro?

Very grateful for any help!

Mary Oday, Highbank Porcelain, Lochgilphead 00108d10

Mary Oday, Highbank Porcelain, Lochgilphead 20190319

Mary Oday, Highbank Porcelain, Lochgilphead 20190320
Lego
Lego

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2018-12-22

Back to top Go down

Mary Oday, Highbank Porcelain, Lochgilphead Empty Re: Mary Oday, Highbank Porcelain, Lochgilphead

Post by NaomiM March 6th 2019, 11:29 am

M. Oday? I’ve seen similar ones. I think it’s a Scottish Pottery, 60s-70s? Sometimes listed as Highland Stoneware but I don’t know if it’s an early example from that pottery

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31545
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Mary Oday, Highbank Porcelain, Lochgilphead Empty Re: Mary Oday, Highbank Porcelain, Lochgilphead

Post by Lego March 6th 2019, 2:27 pm

Thank you! That looks like a good guess on the signature but not found anything yet.

All the Highland Stoneware I looked at online looks like stoneware whereas mine have a seam down the side and look and feel like more porous and less solid. I see the similarity with the landscape etc I don't think my pics are clear enough to judge material and the seams arent showing but will dig them out again at some point.

Thanks again for new angles to investigate - always learn something even without a positive id
Lego
Lego

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump March 6th 2019, 4:01 pm

NaomiM wrote:M. Oday? I’ve seen similar ones. I think it’s a Scottish Pottery, 60s-70s? Sometimes listed as Highland Stoneware but I don’t know if it’s an early example from that pottery

Were you thinking of Highbank? Definitely not Highland.
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Number of posts : 7227
Registration date : 2014-06-01

http://www.magicfabric.magix.net/public/

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM March 6th 2019, 5:48 pm

denbydump wrote:
NaomiM wrote:M. Oday? I’ve seen similar ones. I think it’s a Scottish Pottery, 60s-70s? Sometimes listed as Highland Stoneware but I don’t know if it’s an early example from that pottery

Were you thinking of Highbank? Definitely not Highland.

That’s the one. I was wondering why I couldn’t find it on my Pinterest boards: - definitely by Highbank Porcelain, Lochgilphead, Scotland. 80s-90s?

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31545
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump March 6th 2019, 6:39 pm

Too many highs Naomi!
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Number of posts : 7227
Registration date : 2014-06-01

http://www.magicfabric.magix.net/public/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lego March 6th 2019, 7:02 pm

Thanks very much! Highbank sounded familiar, started looking at the pics and realised I used to have some of their dolphins.

Finding some very similar looking pieces now. Will update if I find any M Oday stuff!

Still find the ceramic types so confusing. Wouldn't have guessed these were porcelain. One day it will make sense hopefully.
Lego
Lego

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum