Monster 19” stoneware jug, AP (or AD) mark, African style decoration

Go down

Monster 19” stoneware jug, AP (or AD) mark, African style decoration  Empty Monster 19” stoneware jug, AP (or AD) mark, African style decoration

Post by benwilliams on February 19th 2019, 4:49 pm

Tried to ID this a few times and surprisingly couldn’t. Well thrown, heavy 19” stoneware jug, well decorated. I did wonder if it might be foreign. I’ll probably find now that it’s a local Devon piece and I know nothing. I know I’ve put a lot of pots on recently. I’m not working right now and I’m wading through boxes. I just want to say to all of you who’ve messaged with facts and opinions - I really appreciate it. It’s great for improving my knowledge.

Monster 19” stoneware jug, AP (or AD) mark, African style decoration  2b8b8c10
Monster 19” stoneware jug, AP (or AD) mark, African style decoration  Ac373110
Monster 19” stoneware jug, AP (or AD) mark, African style decoration  3a41a610
benwilliams
benwilliams

Number of posts : 588
Registration date : 2017-12-27

Back to top Go down

Monster 19” stoneware jug, AP (or AD) mark, African style decoration  Empty Re: Monster 19” stoneware jug, AP (or AD) mark, African style decoration

Post by benwilliams on February 19th 2019, 4:50 pm

Monster 19” stoneware jug, AP (or AD) mark, African style decoration  9d07f710
Monster 19” stoneware jug, AP (or AD) mark, African style decoration  C8e56310
Monster 19” stoneware jug, AP (or AD) mark, African style decoration  967ba010
benwilliams
benwilliams

Back to top Go down

Monster 19” stoneware jug, AP (or AD) mark, African style decoration  Empty Re: Monster 19” stoneware jug, AP (or AD) mark, African style decoration

Post by philpot on February 20th 2019, 7:55 am

The decoration does look like Abuja. Yet none of the recognised Abuja potters fit that signature.It looks slightly odd actually. The top and the bottom look as though they were made separately, and then shoved on to each other.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 2620
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by benwilliams on February 20th 2019, 9:45 am

I think you’re right, it may well have been thrown as two pieces and joined. It’s an unusual pot and I’m sure it’s been sold in a gallery with the ticket on the base. But I guess it could be foreign.
benwilliams
benwilliams

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM on February 20th 2019, 10:30 am

I’ve come across it a few times before but not managed to ID it. It’s a bit like Andrew Van Der Putten ‘s mark from New Zealand, or there’s Dorothy (Dotty) Pennicott

Mystery mark
https://pin.it/dqhwyudojkpwii

Andrew Van Der Putten -
https://pin.it/slvwsht4u2knzm

Dotty Pennicott -
https://pin.it/7gvsbugzabclxx

Last edited by NaomiM on February 20th 2019, 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 20622
Registration date : 2012-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by benwilliams on February 20th 2019, 4:54 pm

The mark on the stoneware dish on the first link looks like the one. Hopefully we’ll find out one day. You must be so organised to be able to find information and not lose it!
benwilliams
benwilliams

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM on February 20th 2019, 5:56 pm

I rely on Pinterest as my filing system.

I’ve edited the previous post because I forgot to include Andrew Van Der Putten’s mark. The one you saw is another example like yours

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 20622
Registration date : 2012-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum