Winchcombe pottery bowl - dash marks?

Go down

Winchcombe pottery bowl - dash marks?  Empty Winchcombe pottery bowl - dash marks?

Post by eshearm on February 8th 2019, 7:55 am

Hi guys, maybe dreaming but i vaguely recall reading something that said the two dashes below  the Winchcomb mark denoted a specific artist. Is this true or have I just made that up!!

Cheers EWinchcombe pottery bowl - dash marks?  Img_1816
Winchcombe pottery bowl - dash marks?  Img_1815Winchcombe pottery bowl - dash marks?  Img_1817

Last edited by NaomiM on August 13th 2019, 5:53 pm; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : add pottery)
eshearm
eshearm

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2013-10-20

Back to top Go down

Winchcombe pottery bowl - dash marks?  Empty Re: Winchcombe pottery bowl - dash marks?

Post by touchdry on February 8th 2019, 9:11 am

I know that one spot to the lower right of the Winchcombe mark is for Ray Finch ... perhaps someone else can give you more info.

Last edited by touchdry on February 8th 2019, 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total
touchdry
touchdry

Male Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2018-08-13

http://www.thrownandfired.com

Back to top Go down

Winchcombe pottery bowl - dash marks?  Empty Re: Winchcombe pottery bowl - dash marks?

Post by touchdry on February 8th 2019, 9:28 am

Thanks eshearm - I've also edited my comment ... unfortunately I cannot mark out any dashes on the mark.
... Hang on ... do you mean the marks under the Winchccombe stamp? I can see those but I have not heard of any ID describing such things. Michael Finch pointed out the lower right hand dot being Rays?

Last edited by touchdry on February 8th 2019, 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
touchdry
touchdry

Back to top Go down

Post by eshearm on February 8th 2019, 9:30 am

Hi they are not on it they are below it, I have seen it before but cannot recall what it means
eshearm
eshearm

Back to top Go down

Post by denbydump on February 8th 2019, 10:00 am

Not sure the dashes have any significance.

https://www.20thcenturyforum.com/t7608-winchcombe-pottery
denbydump
denbydump
Consultant
Consultant

Number of posts : 4517
Registration date : 2014-06-01

http://www.magicfabric.magix.net/public/

Back to top Go down

Post by touchdry on February 8th 2019, 10:04 am

... yep, that's my feeling too.
touchdry
touchdry

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM on February 8th 2019, 10:33 am

Winchcombe standard ware by the looks of it. I don’t think the dashes are relevant. Each potter uses their own PW stamp so if you can match it to pieces that also have a potter’s personal stamp then in theory you could say who made it but to be honest unless it has the dot for Ray Finch then which assistant made it isn’t really relevant as far as collectors are concerned

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 20357
Registration date : 2012-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by eshearm on February 8th 2019, 2:59 pm

Cool, thanks. Defo too big for standard ware 10” across and very very shallow. It is grinding me though as I know I read something a while ago with this mark on and I just can’t recall. Ah!!! Thanks as always for your knowledge em xxxx
eshearm
eshearm

Back to top Go down

Post by eshearm on August 13th 2019, 7:30 am

Here is further evidence these marks are not here by accident and a specific potter is making them, any further ideas greatly received xx
Winchcombe pottery bowl - dash marks?  Img_9514
Winchcombe pottery bowl - dash marks?  Img_9516
Winchcombe pottery bowl - dash marks?  Img_9517
Winchcombe pottery bowl - dash marks?  Img_9518

eshearm
eshearm

Back to top Go down

Post by eshearm on August 13th 2019, 1:29 pm

Why has this thread been moved please there is still very obviously something to be identified? I have emailed the pottery this morning.
eshearm
eshearm

Back to top Go down

Post by eshearm on August 13th 2019, 1:30 pm

This is the 3rd relatively current piece I have had with this mark in as many months
eshearm
eshearm

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM on August 13th 2019, 5:52 pm

My apologies, I moved it in readiness to merge it with the main Winchcombe thread. If members don’t know then it’s possible that visitors to the forum will, and its easier for them to find such threads when they’re in that section of the Forum. Winchcombe Pottery is the best place to ask.  I’ll move this back to ID my pottery and merge this thread with the main Winchcombe thread if & when you get an answer

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 20357
Registration date : 2012-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot on August 13th 2019, 6:33 pm

I just hope you are not getting Auctionitus! Laughter Winchcombe has going for nearly 100 years now (1926 founded). They have been making this stabdard ware stoneware for nearly 60 of those. They have been a production pottery for most of that time, with a number of potters producing a lot of items. In relative studio pottery terms, there is a lot of it around. Beware of paying too much, even if its has a specific individua stamp on it. Winchcombe collectors are very choosy.
As to the above jug. Is that an impressed mark, or one in ink or painted? If the latter, it could mean anything.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 2533
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by olipayton on August 13th 2019, 6:54 pm

eshearm wrote:Hi guys, maybe dreaming but i vaguely recall reading something that said the two dashes below  the Winchcomb mark denoted a specific artist. Is this true or have I just made that up!!

Cheers EWinchcombe pottery bowl - dash marks?  Img_1816
Winchcombe pottery bowl - dash marks?  Img_1815Winchcombe pottery bowl - dash marks?  Img_1817

I still like it even if it has not got a 'special' potter to it
olipayton
olipayton

Number of posts : 326
Registration date : 2015-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post by eshearm on August 13th 2019, 9:10 pm

I haven’t bought anything this was in a shop and I took the photos of an item for sale as I noted yet another item with the same dashes. As I have said this is the 3rd item in as many months with the same marks.
eshearm
eshearm

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot on August 14th 2019, 7:45 am

Winchcombe pottery is still a working potter of course, with a superb quality range.
http://www.winchcombepottery.co.uk/
It might be that these marks come from the pottery of the last few years and collectors are not aware of their significance. They could be anything of course, not just a potters mark. This is a a collector's site, and we do not have much interest or knowledge of ultra-modern work. Have you inquired from the pottery?
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by eshearm on August 14th 2019, 2:07 pm

The Forum is basically a website that was set up in early 2008 and since then it has become a valuable research resource for 20th century art and design in general. Over the years a strong emphasis on ceramics has developed and, now that we are moving towards the end of the second decade of the 21st century, items that have been produced more recently are discussed and included. If you are interested in sharing your expertise or gaining knowledge about something you own then the website should have something for you. Why not give us a visit? It’s only a click away.

Taken from the sites own page.....
eshearm
eshearm

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot on August 14th 2019, 2:27 pm

People here volunteer their knowledge and experience out of their own good will. If we don't know, we don't know. You seem to be expecting something we cannot deliver.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by eshearm on August 14th 2019, 3:01 pm

I most certainly do not, I have been am member for many years and happen to have just come across this mark three times in three months on three different pieces. And as it happens we do now have an answer, which I think most folks will find very interesting and informative, so apologies if my determination does not agree with you... they now use this mark to determine a new test pot, they use it when using a new clay, mix, glaze etc..... a useful piece of information and one my determination to investigate and keep current on here has paid off.  To be honest I have found your attitude to me in the last two post verging on patronising and slightly rude, something no one on here should be doing or receiving 😓😓 I shall think twice before entering on here again..
eshearm
eshearm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum