French pottery looks like Marcelle, very interesting decoration.

Go down

French pottery looks like Marcelle, very interesting decoration. Empty French pottery looks like Marcelle, very interesting decoration.

Post by sukraine on December 15th 2018, 5:01 pm

French pottery looks like Marcelle, very interesting decoration. Wp_20115
French pottery looks like Marcelle, very interesting decoration. Wp_20114
sukraine
sukraine

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2015-05-17

Back to top Go down

French pottery looks like Marcelle, very interesting decoration. Empty Re: French pottery looks like Marcelle, very interesting decoration.

Post by janetpjohn on December 18th 2018, 4:59 pm

Does it say Nevers, France?
janetpjohn
janetpjohn

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2015-03-16

Back to top Go down

French pottery looks like Marcelle, very interesting decoration. Empty Re: French pottery looks like Marcelle, very interesting decoration.

Post by sukraine on December 18th 2018, 5:58 pm

I think it does but it's quite unclear. Could well be though.
sukraine
sukraine

Back to top Go down

Post by touchdry on December 18th 2018, 7:48 pm

Any chance of a clearer picture of the signature?
touchdry
touchdry

Male Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2018-08-13

http://www.thrownandfired.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sukraine on December 19th 2018, 2:00 pm

French pottery looks like Marcelle, very interesting decoration. Img_2033 Is this any better?
sukraine
sukraine

Back to top Go down

Post by touchdry on December 19th 2018, 7:21 pm

Thanks sukraine ... unfortunately, I have not managed to find anything yet. I am no expert when it comes to pots ... but one thing struck me here:
Marcelle is a female first name ... that implies that the word under it might be the surname. I do not know of anyone by the name of Nevers - but there are a number people by the name of Neveu ... especially Yves Neveu, a potter working in Vallauris. He was the father of Rene Neveu of the Cerenne atelier. Sorry, these are all male names - and the I do not think any of the wives names were Marcelle. I'll keep a look out for any more. Of course the other way to look at it is to check out any female French artists by the name
'Marcelle' ... Marcelle Ferron? ...but I do not think she did pottery!
touchdry
touchdry

Male Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2018-08-13

http://www.thrownandfired.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sukraine on December 19th 2018, 8:52 pm

Thanks that's very helpful. When I originally searched I kept getting Raoul Dufy stuff come up especially pottery decoration items, which was weird, when I looked again at the pot I realised that the images weren't abstract but actually loosely drawn animals etc, rather in his style. I couldn't find anything much more than this strange connection. It rather fascinates me and I will keep trying to find out about it.
sukraine
sukraine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum